Notices

HEI module

Old 06-27-2024, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 4,864 Likes on 1,376 Posts
Default HEI module

Is there a way to test these to see if it`s good or bad ?

https://www.westmarine.com/sierra-18...yABEgJDrPD_BwE
Old 06-27-2024, 09:31 AM
Registered

Received 461 Likes on 271 Posts

Most auto parts stores have a tester. I don't know how accurate they are, but I have had a few tested over the years and none of them ever failed the test. It always led to more troubleshooting and in every case I found the problem elsewhere.
Old 06-27-2024, 12:51 PM
Registered

Received 491 Likes on 270 Posts

the problem is the pick up coil pull the dist gear off slide the shaft out and change the pick up coil most auto stores have it ,use thermo paste under the module i,m changing one right now with no spark
Old 06-27-2024, 12:58 PM
Registered

Received 185 Likes on 138 Posts

I normally test the modules using a spare to confirm it's dead. I've had a few fail on me over the years.
Old 06-27-2024, 06:53 PM
Registered

Received 4,864 Likes on 1,376 Posts

The engines are doing weird stuff.
We can`t figure it out .
Everything works fine till it doesnt .
One day out of nowhere neither engine would start .. no tach signal.
drive it home , starts back up.
Same tune in both engines , one will be fine the other will drop duty cycle like a clock and only in gear .

Eddie Young says get rid of the daytona boxes they are not needed and cause RF interference.. maybe thats it.

Unfortunately I don`t know Mefi and how to rewire it so .. good times
Old 06-27-2024, 07:24 PM
Registered

Received 154 Likes on 74 Posts

Most likely not your issue but mine had this mess that a big time shop missed while diagnosing why it would not run... and "foul plugs" total garbage but that's a long story.

The tiny little relay on the right and the dist. block runs 2 of my 4 fuel pumps, looks pretty trustworthy eh?. All been replaced/ cleaned now.
Since you have nothing else better to do it may be worth checking out if nothing else but to clean. I had to dig under some covers to find these.

The following users liked this post:
87MirageIntruder (06-28-2024)
Old 06-27-2024, 07:48 PM
Registered

Received 484 Likes on 219 Posts

I see a lot of tinkering this winter!!!
Old 06-27-2024, 10:59 PM
Registered

Received 825 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
Most likely not your issue but mine had this mess that a big time shop missed while diagnosing why it would not run... and "foul plugs" total garbage but that's a long story.

The tiny little relay on the right and the dist. block runs 2 of my 4 fuel pumps, looks pretty trustworthy eh?. All been replaced/ cleaned now.
Since you have nothing else better to do it may be worth checking out if nothing else but to clean. I had to dig under some covers to find these.

its not a relay,,its a circuit breaker.but yeah,you had some corrosion.
Old 06-27-2024, 11:04 PM
Registered

Received 825 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
Is there a way to test these to see if it`s good or bad ?

https://www.westmarine.com/sierra-18...yABEgJDrPD_BwE
you run holley efi,right.is there a place for inputting dwell?
short story,I got a tune for a starting point on mefi4b,,little did I know,the tuner had jacked up the dwell 2-3 x more than a stock merc.I'd be going along and the engine would just die.finally stumbled upon that one,,never blew another module.did get good at replacing them while boat was under way.
The following users liked this post:
SB (06-28-2024)
Old 06-28-2024, 03:56 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,277 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Originally Posted by sutphen 30
you run holley efi,right.is there a place for inputting dwell?
short story,I got a tune for a starting point on mefi4b,,little did I know,the tuner had jacked up the dwell 2-3 x more than a stock merc.I'd be going along and the engine would just die.finally stumbled upon that one,,never blew another module.did get good at replacing them while boat was under way.
That’s a great point.
Many car tuners have run into the ignition dwell issue too. Maybe because many didn’t understand it.

Fun fact - Carb’d motors I used to literally bypass the module when using the crane box with the gm est dist , i just used the dist as a magnetic pick up distributor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.