Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
2004 5.0 MPI/Bravo won't go past 3,000 RPMs. >

2004 5.0 MPI/Bravo won't go past 3,000 RPMs.

Notices

2004 5.0 MPI/Bravo won't go past 3,000 RPMs.

Old 06-27-2024, 08:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2004 5.0 MPI/Bravo won't go past 3,000 RPMs.

Guys,

Just joined since this looked like a place that could offer some help. I'm helping a friend troubleshoot a problem his boat is having. It's a 2004 Sea Ray 240 Sundancer with a 5.0 MPI/Bravo, right around 500 hours.. The boat will not go over 3,000 RPMs. This started fairly recently and we can't figure it out. It has fresh fuel, new fuel/water separator, new spark plugs, plug wires look OK, haven't looked a the cap/rotor yet, fluid levels are all OK and topped off. The throttle body opens all the way and the spark arrestor is not plugged.

The boat simply will not go past 3,000 RPMs. This problems started a bit ago and he's been waiting on the mechanic to look at it but the guy is busy so I decided to offer some help. There's no alarms present on the SmartCraft gauge. All pressures and temps look OK on the gauge. I'm an outboard guy, but have fooled with race cars for some time so the whole outdrive/gimbal assembly thing is new to me but the engine is not.

Even though the SmartCraft gauge shows good pressures and temps how can we check the things like TPS, coolant temp, oil pressure, knock sensor, etc. that the ECM is seeing? Can only a Mercruiser mechanic scan it? Or is there a way we can plug in an OBD reader to scan for codes? I looked for a bit on the harness and didn't see an OBD port.

Thanks in advance.

John
Old 06-28-2024, 12:21 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,879 Likes on 944 Posts

You need a Rinda Techmate Scan tool to scan it.
Does it basically cut out at 3000rpms?? Pull back throttle a little and its fine?? If so, My bet is on cap/rotor
The following users liked this post:
speicher lane (06-30-2024)
Old 06-28-2024, 04:03 AM
Registered

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

Definitely get it scanned before putting in to much effort. There is not an OBD 2 port and it requires a special computer.

Fuel pressure should be pretty easy for you to check on your own
Old 06-28-2024, 10:35 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
Does it basically cut out at 3000rpms?? Pull back throttle a little and its fine?? If so, My bet is on cap/rotor
It doesn't cut out at 3K, just stops climbing in RPM and sits there running as smooth as can be...
Old 06-28-2024, 10:36 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
Pulling back on the throttle does nothing except decrease RPM. We have a cap and rotor coming. We're limited in what parts we can easily get in this small town in Colorado. Thanks for the tip on the scan tool. That's what a bunch of others are recommending.
Old 06-28-2024, 10:38 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ryanw10
Definitely get it scanned before putting in to much effort. There is not an OBD 2 port and it requires a special computer.

Fuel pressure should be pretty easy for you to check on your own
I plan on checking rail pressure and seeing if Sea Ray has another filter installed somewhere before the small lift pump. As for scanning it's been hard to find a local mechanic with the scan tool available to do so.
Old 06-28-2024, 11:50 AM
Registered

Received 429 Likes on 260 Posts

I think you can buy the scan tool for about $600 and there are probably a few used ones that can be had for considerably less. I wouldn't own a EFI engine that I didn't have a scanner for. Who wants to wait 6 weeks for some dealer to get you in.
Start with the basics and you will find the problem 90% of the time.
Scan it
fuel pressure
ignition (plugs, wires, cap and rotor)
compression test
check condition of the prop and the hull bottom.
Griff (06-28-2024)
Old 06-28-2024, 12:40 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,158 Likes on 1,427 Posts

Props just replaced ?

First time in high altitude ?

Trailer still attached ? :wink

Never assume anything
Old 06-28-2024, 01:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by snapmorgan
I think you can buy the scan tool for about $600 and there are probably a few used ones that can be had for considerably less. I wouldn't own a EFI engine that I didn't have a scanner for. Who wants to wait 6 weeks for some dealer to get you in.
Start with the basics and you will find the problem 90% of the time.
Scan it
fuel pressure
ignition (plugs, wires, cap and rotor)
compression test
check condition of the prop and the hull bottom.
Looking into scanners now. The local mechanic doesn't have the latest Merc stuff and doesn't seem interested in trying to get it scanned. We'll be checking fuel pressure when we go back along with compression. Already did the water separator and plugs since those were easy to get from the local parts store. Cap/rotor on order. Hull and outdrive is clean, that's the first thing I checked.

Originally Posted by SB
Props just replaced ?

First time in high altitude ?

Trailer still attached ? :wink

Never assume anything
Same props and it's been at 6,000' of elevation for awhile
SB (06-28-2024)
Old 06-28-2024, 02:37 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Winterized properly? Definitely do a compression check and better yet a leakdown test

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.