Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Please help - fresh rebuilt 502 mpi is cutting out under load above 3000rpms >

Please help - fresh rebuilt 502 mpi is cutting out under load above 3000rpms

Notices

Please help - fresh rebuilt 502 mpi is cutting out under load above 3000rpms

Old 07-10-2024, 06:45 PM
Registered

Received 110 Likes on 82 Posts

Has the boats tune been messed with? I'd be curious to see what is going on with some ScannerPro data.
Old 07-10-2024, 08:12 PM
Registered

Received 725 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Trash
Has the boats tune been messed with? I'd be curious to see what is going on with some ScannerPro data.
sounds like a soft rpm limiter,,maybe the knock sensors,try disconnecting them and see what happens.
Old 07-11-2024, 10:34 AM
Registered

Received 110 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by sutphen 30
sounds like a soft rpm limiter,,maybe the knock sensors,try disconnecting them and see what happens.
I once had a 'typo' inputing parameters into the timing table and at one break point (MAP/RPM) inadvertently had like 0 deg timing. Motor fell on its face very similar to this one. Low drive oil will cause this too but I'm not hearing an alarm.
Old 07-12-2024, 03:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
Not sure of the noise but sounds like the valve train needs adjusted
Thanks, once I get the current issue addressed I'll look in the valve train. I did have the heads refreshed with new inconel valves, etc.
Old 07-12-2024, 04:24 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Trash
The mefi 3 tune hasn't been touched. I did get setup yesterday with ScannerPro. I'll make a recording out on the water later today (friday). I think it might have something to do with the ignition from first running with the broken spark plug. Maybe ignition control module. I ran a ground jumper from one of the distributor cap screws to a ground on the engine, fixed my fluctuating rpm gauge (wasn't an issue before rebuild). It also fix all the ALDL Data Errors I would keep getting at first running ScannerPro, all my readings kept jumping around a lot prior to ground jumper. I'm picking up a new ignition control module and coil later today to try. No one has a distributor in our area or I'd just get a whole new one. I also cleaned up my old distributor, sanding down all the paint for better ground & control module connection, also cleaned paint from block where it touches the distributor and mount nut.

Here's a short ScannerPro video I made running off the hose. The clanking noise you hear is from my Corsa silent choice linkages. I need to send back to Corsa to adjust.

Appreciate all your help.
Old 07-12-2024, 04:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by sutphen 30
Would these show up in Scannerpro? If yes how do I see them if they do trigger errors? I just got the scannerpro setup yesterday and still learning.
Old 07-12-2024, 10:19 AM
Registered

Received 4,567 Likes on 1,315 Posts

I was going to suggest distributor module and ground but looks like you`re on the right track there .
I got all my distributor stuff from Rock Auto.
look up 19995 K1500 suburban/truck
GM W04 dist is $70 instead of $500 from Sierra
Module is $20
and caps are cheap too ..its all the same stuff.
Caps, you want the Brass terminals

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...stributor,7108
Old 07-12-2024, 06:04 PM
Registered

Received 725 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by 1brent1
Would these show up in Scannerpro? If yes how do I see them if they do trigger errors? I just got the scannerpro setup yesterday and still learning.
you have to watch the knock sensors,,you have valve train noise you say.

I did too,same rpm limit,disconnected 1 knock and boom,red line,next year,rpm limit,no problem,disconnect the other knock sensor,boom,redline again
couple weeks later on a fun run,,horrendous noise from engine.spent the lunch break removing valve cover and re-installing the rocker stud that came out.I know why the knock sensors were tripping.
side mount whipples on mpi manifolds.
quiet down your valve train.
oh,and I reconnected my knock sensors