Ignition Switch Failure

Old 07-13-2024, 09:33 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,189 Likes on 665 Posts

Originally Posted by PQ290Enticer
Lol!!! Those positions are F'd 1 through 3
Rob,

Yup. Pretty sure I’ve got “Off” at 12o’clock and “Start” at the other four, two of which I didn’t have prior to yesterday.

Thanks. Brad.
Old 07-13-2024, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 181 Likes on 108 Posts

Glad its not the starter. I burned one of mine up so I ordered 2 new permanent magnet gear reduction ones. Waiting to see if you replace the switch or go with some kind of push button setup.
Old 07-13-2024, 10:13 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by PQ290Enticer
Glad its not the starter. I burned one of mine up so I ordered 2 new permanent magnet gear reduction ones. Waiting to see if you replace the switch or go with some kind of push button setup.
Rob,

Can’t tell for sure if the starter took a hit until I get an ignition switch installed that’s behaving properly.

I think it’s OK, as it seemed to work just fine in the parking lot. I went brain dead for a second and turned key, it kicked the starter the instant it hit the “On” position and the engine fired right up. Oops…

Thanks. Brad.

Last edited by Brad Christy; 07-13-2024 at 10:19 AM.
Old 07-13-2024, 03:16 PM
Registered

Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

Brad,

looks like your switch failed internally. A lot of switches have an Accesory (power to various electrical items without the engine system having power) setting.
something like, Acc, Off, On, Start. Some do and some don’t. You can do some research on your favorite way to wire these up.

I would suggest replacing the ignition switch. Take lots of photos and videos before taking it apart. But it’s a pretty straight forward change. You can pick one up at lots of stores west marine, Amazon, local boat store etc. just keep your original switch and keys until you’re sure you can throw them out.

good luck and glad you made it back safely.
Old 07-14-2024, 09:23 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Guys,

I’ve got a new ignition switch on the way; should arrive sometime today. It will be installed before day’s end.

So, what’s the over/under that the starter, and/or flywheel are damaged as a result of engaged driven at idle? I have no doubt hours of life have been lost for both, but I wonder about actual damage done.

Thanks. Brad.
Old 07-14-2024, 09:30 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Xcomunic8d
Brad,

looks like your switch failed internally. A lot of switches have an Accesory (power to various electrical items without the engine system having power) setting.
something like, Acc, Off, On, Start. Some do and some don’t. You can do some research on your favorite way to wire these up.

I would suggest replacing the ignition switch. Take lots of photos and videos before taking it apart. But it’s a pretty straight forward change. You can pick one up at lots of stores west marine, Amazon, local boat store etc. just keep your original switch and keys until you’re sure you can throw them out.

good luck and glad you made it back safely.
XComunic8d,

Yup. Looked pretty straightforward. I’m not at the shop, in the boat, at the moment, so I can’t be certain, but, if memory serves, there are three wire mounting tabs, one with one big red wire, one with a single smaller wire that I can’t recall the color of, and one with about six wires or various colors. My intention is to transfer them one mounting tab at a time, 1-for-1. Of course I will be taking pics, just in case of any fumblefinger incidents that I know I’m capable of.

Thanks. Brad.
The following users liked this post:
Xcomunic8d (07-14-2024)
Old 07-14-2024, 01:44 PM
Registered

Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Christy
Guys,

I’ve got a new ignition switch on the way; should arrive sometime today. It will be installed before day’s end.

So, what’s the over/under that the starter, and/or flywheel are damaged as a result of engaged driven at idle? I have no doubt hours of life have been lost for both, but I wonder about actual damage done.

Thanks. Brad.

pretty unlikely to have damaged the flywheel, in my experience. It is possible but out of all my experiences of people who have done this, i can only recall 1 person who killed their starter. the starter is "normally" the casualty, in my experience. that being said replace the ignition switch and see what happens.