Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Heat blocking spacer plate for quadrajet manifold... >

Heat blocking spacer plate for quadrajet manifold...

Notices

Heat blocking spacer plate for quadrajet manifold...

Old 07-13-2024, 11:09 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Heat blocking spacer plate for quadrajet manifold...

Hi, So I put an edelbrock 1410 carb with the aluminum adapter spacer plate to mate the 4 barrels to the offset 4 holes on my quadrajet intake. Problem is , getting major heat soak with this spacer. The 454 is super hard to start after sitting hot. I cannot find the same style wood or phenolic spacer anywhere to fix this problem. I do have the edelbrock regular straight 4 hole wood spacer, but to have all the ports line up, I'd need to put it on top of the aluminum adapter spacer I have on now increasing the height of the carb to 1" over the intake from 1/2". I've read this might make the engine not run so well in lower rpms....any ideas or links to a solution? Please? Thanks
Old 07-13-2024, 11:55 AM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 486 Likes on 178 Posts

Edelbrock RPM Airgap intake manifold and never look back.
The following 2 users liked this post by the deep:
1983ScarabIII (07-23-2024), PQ290Enticer (07-14-2024)
Old 07-13-2024, 01:50 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 118 Posts

Not sure how the aluminum adapter would cause any more heat soak than having the carb mounted directly to the intake manifold. What carb did you have before and did you have "heat soak" issues with it ? I may very well be wrong but I bet that your problem is something other than what you think it is.

Personally I cannot imagine why someone would want to replace a Quadrajet carb with an Edelbrock unless maybe you were doing a complete build with an intake manifold swap also.

Just my opinion
The following 3 users liked this post by BillK:
Bondo (07-14-2024), Griff (07-23-2024), OLDRAT (07-24-2024)
Old 07-13-2024, 07:23 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It had a piece of s**t Fitech EFI. The carb runs way better. Only after running and sitting it's a hard restart. After running and not sitting it's an instant restart. Starting from cold it's a couple turn start.
Old 07-14-2024, 07:12 AM
Registered

Received 175 Likes on 104 Posts

Is this a vapor lock situation? I just installed QFT's fuel pressure regulators and in the instructions it shows how to install them using a return line to the fuel tank to eliminate vapor lock. If you already had an EFI system installed you probably already have a return line available. Might be worth a look?
Old 07-14-2024, 07:23 AM
Registered

Received 447 Likes on 267 Posts

Carb Products – Ezshields – Automotive Starter Shields, Carburetor Heat Shields, Starter Heat Shields
I have one of these on my 32 Ford street rod. Works great.
Old 07-14-2024, 08:14 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Jase
It had a piece of s**t Fitech EFI. The carb runs way better. Only after running and sitting it's a hard restart. After running and not sitting it's an instant restart. Starting from cold it's a couple turn start.
Ayuh,..... Verify that the bowls aren't leaking,...... Both the ABF carbs, 'n Quadra jet carbs are known to do so,....

The following users liked this post:
Griff (07-23-2024)
Old 07-23-2024, 06:30 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar issue with my 7.4, Weber 4bbl (same as eddy 1410) w/ the factory aluminum adapter. Had really bad hot starting problems when I first got it, could not identify that it was flooding after shut down but never ruled out vapor lock/bowls boiling. Ended up replacing ignition sensor, cap & rotor, wires and coil, insulated the fuel line (header wrap + rubber hos), and started only running good quality fuel. Made a huge difference after a couple years of slowly trying to figure it out and it now fires up instantly when hot and sitting about 99% of the time, with the 1% being just a couple seconds of cranking.

My ignition components were all original (1995) and I dont think they were the sole issue but certainly contributed as when i first bought the boat, it would not fire at all when hot no matter how much i cranked until it cooled down. But I do believe fuel quality is one of biggest issues, specifically with ethanol.