Notices

Cursed

Old Yesterday, 03:50 PM
Registered

Received 4,640 Likes on 1,329 Posts
Unhappy Cursed

Tring to decide if Im cursed or the boat is cursed.
Did all my homework on the boat , seller and build , sea trial to boot.

First day after signing the contract water thru a indicator cable.
On the water wont stay running in gear , shifts great, idles great, but runs out of fuel in gear below 1000rpm.
Went to LOTO to tune it , spent 3 days at the dock every morning, HP mafia got it running great at the dock, later in the day tunes goes to $hit.
Day before we leave day went out with us to tune on the water .. worked fantastic all day.
Last day start it at the dock, runs from mile marker 14 all the way to state dock. Turn the engines off get truck, both engines sputter , one wont start at all , the other dies withing 2 minutes and also wont restart.
hell of a time getting it on trailer .
5 minutes later tire blows.

Get it home replace both distributors.. eliminate daytona boxes that were not needed, replace coil , set timing , adjust latch change oil.
While setting timing starter quits.
Drive to a frineds house to pick one up , it`s a bottom mount
Lose a weekend.
Get another starter, install same thing , just zings .
Take starter out , I can move the flywheel with my fingers.
Remove trans, bellhoousing etc etc .. flywheel is broken all bolts are sheared.(cast flywheel)
Remove 2 bolts , on the next one the hardened steel easy out breaks inside the bolt.
2 days later and ton of swearing and a lot of work including special tools and help from friends get that one out .

Install billet flywheel and HD dampner.
Next outing wont stay running and runs lean.
No oil pressure.
another walk of shame back to launch on one motor.
Turns out my dumba$$ I put in distributer wrong (been 8 years since I had one) didnt line up oil pump drive.
Take home install dist. correctly run on hose , filter clean. Take to local ramp to run on trailer under power cut filter open , clean.. wow I finally had some luck. Replace plugs , replace oil .

Next outing , now it dies during shifts.
Check timing on port, it`s 50* at 3000rpm in neautral and 32* in service mode.!!! (should be 8 degrees in service mode)
Play with dist. while cruisers going by bouncing me around in the bilge like a ragdoll and end up exactly where it was before, exact same spot .. now it`s 8* in service mode and 33* at 3000rpm

Okay let`s check the other engine.
Wont start no fuel pump.
I didn`t rig this boat but find fuel relay and bypass it thinking it`s bad ... still wont start . after more diagnosis and My wife getting seasick from the constant waves assault no injector are firing .

Walk of shame on one engine back to dock.

Swap ecu`s satrts right up.. ECU is fried.
Obsolete part, lucky for me Smitty is the the man and came thru with a ECU.

I give up. I need a priest to put holy water on this thing or maybe I need to take a shower in holy water .. I dunno , it just keeps getting worse and worse.

Heading to Eddie Youngs this weekend for tuning and while he knkows tuning very well I have my doubts if it will work better , seems like everything is going in the wrong direction .. Electrica gremlins or something .

The following 6 users liked this post by ICDEDPPL:
87MirageIntruder (Yesterday), articfriends (Yesterday), OLDRAT (Today), sonicss42 (Today), Tartilla (Today), tommymonza (Today)
Old Yesterday, 04:12 PM
Registered

Received 255 Likes on 117 Posts

My parents used to have sign as you were exiting their house: "Tough times don't last, tough people do." I'm sure that will apply to your situation. What a ***** of a start with the new boat though.
The following 2 users liked this post by SecondWind:
IGetWet (Today), tommymonza (Today)
Old Yesterday, 04:36 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by SecondWind
"Tough times don't last, tough people do."
If that is the case, then Dan is one bad ass tough dude! Man you've had a lot of "projects" over the last few years with boats.... I think I would have given up and switched to golf years ago.... lol
Stick with it. It'll be a bad ass boat when you get it sorted.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tiki Joe:
SecondWind (Today), tommymonza (Today)
Old Yesterday, 05:11 PM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts
Thumbs up

And all my friends wonder why I no longer have the Bananna Boat, Formula, Top Gun and Cary 50...... I'll show them your thread..... It explains it all !!
I'm sure you will get it straighened out albiet a long, painful and expensive journey
Best of luck with it........
The following 2 users liked this post by SammyJ:
techman (Today), tommymonza (Today)
Old Yesterday, 05:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 874 Likes on 406 Posts

Hopefully youve worked thru all the current issues, like I mentioned on the phone though, last year I had a 340 power quest come in that had similar timing issue, would randomly change a large amount and barely run, youd have to just about jump the plug wires a post to turn it enough to get timng back to 8 degrees then it would run fine a while then change back. A different distributor body fixed that so was a bad pickup coil. On another note though, are you sure your not hitting a different timing mark? Had a customer I sold upgrade tune and injectors to this year for his 5oo efis, he called and said one engine ran perfect, other engine ran terrible no matter what. He proceeded to swap every relevant part, ie, ecms, injectors, modules, coils etc , zero out TPS, check, set timing multiple times, you name it. Took it to northbay marine or a guy that worked there, he could not figure it out either. He finally gave up and begged me to look at it, so he brought me the boat, I check timing, its good, rest tps, IAC on "bad" engine, runs like fuk. So it acts like its got a bad cylinder so I swap plugs, do compression test and then I see on his stock balancer it has a zero mark and the 34 or 36 degree mark, they have a paint line on the wrong mark and the zero mark is hidden by the hoses on a 500 since the had timing so far off. so timing was at 42 dgrees, not 8 in base mode (34 +8) , he actually had RAN THE BOAT like this and said it got on plane etc. So Imoved the timing a mile, got it back to +8 on the true zero mark and miraculously its not hurt and runs fine now fwiw.
The following 3 users liked this post by articfriends:
SB (Today), sonicss42 (Today), tommymonza (Today)
Old Yesterday, 05:40 PM
Registered

Received 452 Likes on 203 Posts

Wow that is some bad luck, just think the guy that bought your Cig. he’s probably enjoying the hell out of it and thanking you every day.
The following 2 users liked this post by Craney:
Padraig (Yesterday), tommymonza (Today)
Old Yesterday, 07:42 PM
Registered

Received 328 Likes on 183 Posts

If Eddie can't fix it... it's cursed.

Padraig
Old Today, 09:20 AM
Registered

Received 76 Likes on 32 Posts

It's a boat - always a FIGHT and a battle of wills. Don't give up
Old Today, 10:00 AM
Registered

Received 4,640 Likes on 1,329 Posts

Originally Posted by Craney
Wow that is some bad luck, just think the guy that bought your Cig. he’s probably enjoying the hell out of it and thanking you every day.
The new owner who had to meet the trasnporter 3 hrs from Havasu, drive tru a blizzard, twice, because transporter trans blew up and oiled the entire front of the boat .. then when he got it to the launch there was a rocker arm ticking noise.They had to take the exhaust off to get to the valve covers and "clearance" the rocker arm and valve cover ? Then he blew a trans the next day and dinged the boat coming in during a monsoon..

I sold it running perfectly, not sure what happened there ...valve train was solid , .904 lifters, Shaft rockers, etc.
Never had a single trans issue in 12 years either .
So I feel terrible about that too .. he hasn`t used it since.
The following 3 users liked this post by ICDEDPPL:
87MirageIntruder (Today), Tartilla (Today), tommymonza (Today)
Old Today, 04:43 PM
Registered

Received 180 Likes on 133 Posts

I had a distributor shaft come loose from the rotor mount system. It would pull it down with the cam gear and get hung up on the lower distributor face, essentially retarding the timing really bad. Zero power.

Difficult to diagnose. Smitty's experience of incorrect balancer zero marks is a classic example. Sometimes it's the small things just totally obscured. Marine app engines are worse, buried under all the kit.

Last edited by Tartilla; Today at 04:46 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.