We hurt the 496....

Notices

We hurt the 496....

Old 08-18-2024, 07:50 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,089 Likes on 618 Posts

Guys,

Dwelling on the fuel rail and its potential role in this incident….

Are there any aftermarket fuel rail kits readily available for the 496 intake manifold?

I could easily make a set of rails and fit them up with AN lines. I have resources that will allow me to determine the spacing and angle of the injectors, and making stuff like this is right in my wheelhouse.

Thanks. Brad.
The following users liked this post:
SB (08-18-2024)
Old 08-18-2024, 08:47 AM
Registered

Received 241 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Christy
Guys,

Are there any aftermarket fuel rail kits readily available for the 496 intake manifold?

Thanks. Brad.
nope
Old 08-18-2024, 09:29 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by boatnt
nope
BoatNT,

Looks like time to solve that problem.

Thanks. Brad.
Old 08-18-2024, 09:48 AM
Registered

Received 4,828 Likes on 1,370 Posts

The heat range is 14!? Gap at .45?
They dont foul at idle and it idles well in gear?

How much boost you running ?

I run .32-.35 max gap.
8 heat range
non projected plug

R5671A-8

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...&pt=7212&jsn=1
Old 08-18-2024, 09:59 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
The heat range is 14!? Gap at .45?
They dont foul at idle and it idles well in gear?

How much boost you running ?

I run .32-.35 max gap.
8 heat range
non projected plug

R5671A-8

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...&pt=7212&jsn=1
Dan,

3lbs @ WOT, zero @~4300RPM. It’s a baby supercharger. And not a real one, at that. No. I have not noticed any significant fouling, other than what you see in these pics. It idles fine; 650-700 RPM.

I’ve just been going with OEM recommendations. There are many a thread here on OSO, and comments by those I’ve come to respect, that suggest this was the way to go. That said….

I’m all ears. The right plug, gapped correctly, will go in on reassembly.

Thanks. Brad.

Last edited by Brad Christy; 08-18-2024 at 10:02 AM.
Old 08-22-2024, 12:51 PM
Registered

Received 117 Likes on 60 Posts

The PSI suggestion is a good one. They already have good parts in them and offer bigger bore and longer stroke. Steel crank, Scat I-beam rods and Mahle pistons.
The propane version has forged flat tops and the gas version has Hypereutectic dish pistons. Skirt oilers are also a nice feature in the PSI blocks.

I didnt have the cranial bandwidth to learn Holley EFI tuning so I put an 8.1 top end on my PSI 8.8 shortblock. The cam is probably a little too big for my wet exhaust but I do still have a new 496HO cam sitting on the shelf to use if needed.
You could easily just grab a PSI core off ebay and toss your top end on it for way cheaper than trying to fix the 496.

I used a Dart intake and Quick Fuel marine 850 on this one.

TomZ (08-22-2024)
Old 08-22-2024, 01:40 PM
Registered

Received 241 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Christy
BoatNT,

Looks like time to solve that problem.

Thanks. Brad.
Brad,

if you come up with anything let me know,

thanks
Old 08-22-2024, 02:22 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Dragracer_Art
The PSI suggestion is a good one. They already have good parts in them and offer bigger bore and longer stroke. Steel crank, Scat I-beam rods and Mahle pistons.
The propane version has forged flat tops and the gas version has Hypereutectic dish pistons. Skirt oilers are also a nice feature in the PSI blocks.

I didnt have the cranial bandwidth to learn Holley EFI tuning so I put an 8.1 top end on my PSI 8.8 shortblock. The cam is probably a little too big for my wet exhaust but I do still have a new 496HO cam sitting on the shelf to use if needed.
You could easily just grab a PSI core off ebay and toss your top end on it for way cheaper than trying to fix the 496.

I used a Dart intake and Quick Fuel marine 850 on this one.

https://youtu.be/CisTPoxnfq4?feature=shared
DragracerArt,

We already have a care plan in place, at least preliminarily. 87MirageIntruder turned me on to a guy local-to-me that has done a ton of high-performance marine work. We will be stripping it to the block, full machine shop treatment (decks, line bored for new bearings, etc...), new Wiseco pistons, Molnar PWRADR rods and Cometic head gaskets for starters. We are going to replace almost the entire fuel system, proportional pressure regulator, new lines top to bottom. I will be fabbing up a new stainless fuel rail for the OEM intake manifold, and the manifold will be carved into and modified for better airflow. We are adding a 600SCI oil cooler, repurposing the OEM oil cooler as the PS cooler and scrapping the old PS oil cooler. I have chewed on the prospects of going for considerably more power, with a new cam, headers and scrapping the SilentChoice, but the outdrive will suffer, and scope creep and the CFO (who likes the SilentChoice at times) is keeping me from going down that road. I'd LOVE to ditch the PCM555 and go with a Holley HP system, but it's just not in the budget ATM.

I'm hoping to be a fairly hands-on "helper" as much as he will let me. I will be documenting what I can of this process in pics and posting here periodically as I can. It will be a couple weeks before we get started. Hopefully, I will be getting a shelved intake manifold from him in the next week or so, so I can get started reverse engineering the fuel rail, which is likely going to bloom into a business opportunity for me. Welding aside, this is right in my wheelhouse. Raylar is already interested in sourcing them, and I'm sure a few others, like Mosetti, will be, too. Black clouds and silver linings and all...

Thanks. Brad.
The following 2 users liked this post by Brad Christy:
SB (08-22-2024), sonicss42 (Today)
Old 08-22-2024, 02:24 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by boatnt
Brad,

if you come up with anything let me know,

thanks
BoatNT,

As stated above, I am going to develop a stainless drop-in replacement. It won't look exactly identical, and it will not have the FP regulator, but it will drop in and bolt down just like OEM.

Thanks. Brad.
Tartilla (Yesterday)
Old 08-22-2024, 10:20 PM
Registered

Received 805 Likes on 409 Posts

well if you need a good core.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/17510910010....c101506.m1851

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.