We hurt the 496.... >

We hurt the 496....

Notices

We hurt the 496....

Old 09-12-2024, 04:04 PM
Registered

Received 5,001 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Well I just want you to be prepared ...
Holley is definitely not plug and play or "easily" made to work.
I don`t see anything that can be reused wiring or harness wise on a 496 to work with Holley. Maybe some sensors but you`d have to know what voltage/ohms they are and set up tables. That entire wiring harness will have to go.
Then you`ll need a tune from scratch..
Took me a whole summer to wire up my last engines
If you`re doing the wiring I suggest blowing up the shematics , makes life easier .

CTS , coolant sensor set up if not one in the drop down

Last edited by ICDEDPPL; 09-12-2024 at 04:07 PM.
Old 09-12-2024, 04:15 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,237 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
Well I just want you to be prepared ...
Holley is definitely not plug and play or "easily" made to work.
I don`t see anything that can be reused wiring or harness wise on a 496 to work with Holley. Maybe some sensors but you`d have to know what voltage/ohms they are and set up tables. That entire wiring harness will have to go.
Then you`ll need a tune from scratch..
Took me a whole summer to wire up my last engines
If you`re doing the wiring I suggest blowing up the shematics , makes life easier .

CTS , coolant sensor set up if not one in the drop down

Dan,

I'll definitely hang on to those. Not sure if there's a difference, but we are using the HP unit. Supposedly, it's got assignable inputs for everything. We'll see. I'm also getting the harness along with the ECM.

The builder says he's got this. It's definitely not in my wheelhouse. I'm not letting go of my PCM555 until we get it all rolling. If it doesn't work out, I'll send the 555 off to Boos and live with it.

Thanks. Brad.
The following users liked this post:
Padraig (09-12-2024)
Old 09-30-2024, 09:14 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Looks like we’re off to the races.

Thanks. Brad.
The following 3 users liked this post by Brad Christy:
87MirageIntruder (09-30-2024), Ryan00TJ (09-30-2024), Wally (09-30-2024)
Old 09-30-2024, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 1,462 Likes on 814 Posts

Plenty of room to work on the cold air intake that you talked about before.
Old 09-30-2024, 10:50 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
Plenty of room to work on the cold air intake that you talked about before.
Wildman,

Yup. That's among many issues I intend to address while it's out. If we recall, the bilge pump had taken a sh!t, and was proving to be a PITA to get to, so THAT'S the first thing I'm gonna do after getting the bilge cleaned up. The charging seemed to be dropping off the same weekend of the piston failure (projecting some really weird electrical anomalies that were indicative of a dying battery/alternator), so I'll at least be getting the alternator tested; most likely replace it. The batteries are both good, according to the charger. Also gonna try and convince the CFO the SilentChoice was a significant contributor to the failure and ditch it while it is out. If I can, I'll be making some riser/angle blocks for the exhaust risers, as well as modifying/extending the riser tips, which will significantly reduce the potential for reversion. This will open up some cam options. The ProCharger crank pulley was another hangup getting the engine out, along with the long output snout on the drive end, but I don't know if there's anything we can do about it. Getting rid of the wye-pipe for the SilentChoice will go a long way to making it easier to shoehorn back in. It was a serious thorn in our side getting it out. It's a REALLY tight fit in there.

Thanks. Brad.
87MirageIntruder (09-30-2024)
Old 09-30-2024, 03:16 PM
Registered

Received 1,462 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Christy
Wildman,

It was a serious thorn in our side getting it out. It's a REALLY tight fit in there.

Thanks. Brad.
LOL I have twins in a 32, I know.

Old 09-30-2024, 03:23 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
LOL I have twins in a 32, I know.

Wildman,

The Procharger crank pulley is under the lip of the rear seat and the “long” output snout was under the steering rack, as I’m sure you’re aware. Front to back, we had almost ZERO clearance. At first we thought we’d be able to rotate it to get it out. Nope. It was like trying to rotate a square inside another square.

Thanks. Brad.
The following 2 users liked this post by Brad Christy:
87MirageIntruder (Today), Wildman_grafix (Today)
Old 09-30-2024, 04:18 PM
Registered

Received 450 Likes on 298 Posts

god i love my triple for engine room work !!!
Old Yesterday, 09:31 PM
Registered

Received 202 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Christy
Wildman,

The Procharger crank pulley is under the lip of the rear seat and the “long” output snout was under the steering rack, as I’m sure you’re aware. Front to back, we had almost ZERO clearance. At first we thought we’d be able to rotate it to get it out. Nope. It was like trying to rotate a square inside another square.

Thanks. Brad.
I have the same issue with my blower pulleys under the angled rear seat/front fire wall. Pretty rough access. Had to angle the engine/tranny up 45° to get it to clear without yanking the trans.

Glad you're on the path to getting it back on the water.
Old Yesterday, 09:50 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Tartilla
I have the same issue with my blower pulleys under the angled rear seat/front fire wall. Pretty rough access. Had to angle the engine/tranny up 45° to get it to clear without yanking the trans.

Glad you're on the path to getting it back on the water.
Tartilla,

Got a look inside today:

We can clearly see where the piston was trying to pulverize the bits of piston and ring. Looks like the head gasket gave out, too. Not sure if it happened before or after the piston failure. Valves look OK.

Got the rods ordered yesterday. Gonna order the pistons in the morning and sending them to SwainTech for the top coating.

Block will hopefully go to the machine shop in the next couple days. Getting decked, both block and heads. Going .030” over on the bores.

Also looks like the SilentChoice is ditched. Anybody want it?

Thanks. Brad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.