454 build criticism or opinions >

454 build criticism or opinions

Notices

454 build criticism or opinions

Old Today, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 200 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Danimal182
I've watched his videos and got the same info from him and cleaned up the chambers prior to putting them on my 489. If I remember correctly I believe he said that they were an identical head to the 088 casting with improved exhaust ports.
990 head replacement. The 088 and 990 heads are likely fairly similar. Though the 088 exh ports are pretty rough, as well as the bottom of the int ports.

990 heads can be ported better than Brodix 312s as delivered, but will take the lead once they get some attention with cartridge rolls.

2.25 Int valves should help a bit from the 049s.

I've got 2 sets of new 088 heads that need some mild cleanup. It's amazing Mercruiser managed to get them to perform.

Mike Jones from Jones Cams is one of the best cam grinders around. $550 is a custom cam charge for Hyd Roller. He has a very extensive marine engine spec sheet to dial a cam in for your needs. Worth checking out to see what he says. He's on Speed-talk.com forum as well.

Custom Camshafts | Jones Cams