AQ290 DP Shifting to Neutral Problem

Notices

AQ290 DP Shifting to Neutral Problem

Old Today, 07:16 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question AQ290 DP Shifting to Neutral Problem

Hi guys

I recently experienced that I could not shift my Volve Penta AQ 290 DP from forward drive back to neutral.

When being in the marina shifting from neutral to forward and rearward drive was absolutely fine.
After I left the marina I increased the engine revs and the load.
When I wanted to stop the boat I could not shift back into neutral so the boat remained idling by going constantly forward.
The only way to get it back into neutral was by shifting it back through the starter motor the moment before the engine would fire up.
The shifting mechanism at the back of the sterndrive and the cable from the shifter are not seized and all parts move easily.

My sterndrive was filled with new API-GL5 SAE 90 oil.
The oil lever was at max according to the oil dip stick.
MY boat has got 700h on the meter hence I believe that the sterndrive is 700h old as well.

Before taking it apart I would like to know if the problem could be narrowed down.
I was thinking about this problem being related to a worn clutch cone.

Has anyone expereinced a similar behaviour and could tell me how it was fixed?
I lost the confidence in the sterndrive at the moment as it would have been a disaster in the marina if you can't go into neutral as you can imagine

Thank you very much guys

Martin