496 captains call installation questions >

496 captains call installation questions

Notices

496 captains call installation questions

Old Yesterday, 10:14 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 496 captains call installation questions

I'm installing captains call on a 454 with 496 exhaust manifolds . I have run the 496 manifolds for a couple seasons now . My main question is connecting to the y -pipe / width of the y-pipe . I've searched a lot and most of the info I see is that all v8 y pipes are the same . I read on a sea Ray forum that the 496 y pipe was 3" wider but no part numbers . I bought a y pipe from a 2004 Baja boss 302 with 496's. What confuses me is the y-pipe is about 3" narrower than the outlets of my exhaust risers /elbows. I know I can probably make up that 1.5" difference on each side but I'm surprised I should have to . Searching around OSO I see that is common to use 3.5" soft wall exhaust hose to connect the y pipe oval to the captains call oval . Or I see IMCO makes an oval connector longer than stock .I didn't actually pull the engine or install the Y pipe yet I'm trying to get everything prepped for doing it before winter . Does anybody have any insite on this y pipe width thing ? Or pictures of 496 captains call setups . Thank you

Last edited by tooslow; Yesterday at 10:21 AM.
Old Yesterday, 05:26 PM
Registered

Received 325 Likes on 175 Posts

Old Yesterday, 06:01 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 87MirageIntruder
Thank you for the picture . It makes more sense now. It looks like your Y pipe isn't quite as wide as your exhaust elbow to elbow width either . That makes me feel better that's just the way it is . Very clean engine and bilge !
The following users liked this post:
Old Today, 10:56 AM
Registered

Received 325 Likes on 175 Posts

That was taken earlier this year. It was a new build I did for a friend. Whipple 496 with forged internals in a 2001 Donzi 26ZX. Unfortunately it's back at my shop as the drive coupler blew during break in. So out with the engine. Again...
Old Today, 11:27 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Where did that oil filter come from???
Old Today, 11:45 AM
Registered

Received 192 Likes on 124 Posts

They used to be made by Wix.