Roller Rockers >

Roller Rockers

Notices

Roller Rockers

Old 12-10-2002, 12:10 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO ,
Jesel is the only way to go ! Yes they are pricey but you get what you pay for.
No stud girdles to deal with and the lash does not change(unless you have a lifter going away!)
Harland Sharp would be my next choice then Crower.
Old 12-10-2002, 12:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

I'm using Comp Cams Steel Magnum Roller Rockers, no problems
Old 12-10-2002, 01:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I happen to use Crane Gold, Im not a strong supporter but havent had any problems, I have with imitations. Ive seen a few Cranes blow up in friends engines but they were running very high spring pressures. I figure there are a huge amount of these Crane Gold Rockers running in Merc engines and within reason, they must not be too bad. I have heard that Harlan Sharp are good. I wonder why Merc never used them, probably quantity discounts from Crane or something. What does Merc use in their big HP engines?
Old 12-11-2002, 08:18 AM
Registered

Originally posted by cheitman
I ran Scorpions on a solid flat tappet SB and got less than an hjour of use before the pushrods actually started wearing a hole throught he back of the rockers sending shavings through a new motor. I had to claen the block and replace all bearings. I WILL NEVER USE CHEAP **** AGAIN!
The reasons for push rod failure in small blocks is 1.push rod bind in the head(cut with Louis Tool) 2 no oil.
I've been to their factory in Fort Lauderdale.
Not taking up for Scorpion but don't want to see them bashed unjustly.
Old 12-11-2002, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally posted by Dixie Doug
I've been to their factory in Fort Lauderdale.
Doug, is there anymore you can tell us about the Scorpian brand roller rockers for a marine application? Anyone out there with big power that you know using the Scorpian roller rocker arms with good success? While you were visiting the Scorpian plant did they give you any reasons as to why their roller rockers might be better than Crane's or Crower's or Harland Sharp's or any other brand? Just curious. Thanks

Mark/KAAMA
Old 12-11-2002, 09:32 AM
Registered

Has anyone had any expereience, or used the "newer" Jesel sportsman series rockers ? I think they go for about 1/2 to 2/3 the cost of what the originals were ?

Just curious
Old 12-11-2002, 09:57 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Question

RAGTOP409 has a good question on the floor?!
I have the same question
What is the pros and cons to going to the 1.8 rocker verses the 1.7? If there is not a problem then who would want the stock 1.7's on a stock motor?
Are we getting into too much duration and lift for wet exhaust on a stock motor?

Last edited by OPIE272; 12-11-2002 at 10:00 AM.
Old 12-11-2002, 10:43 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

I do have a set of 1.8 ratio Crane Gold roller rockers for sale with only 50 hours on them ($195). They will give you about .035" more lift and maybe something like 25% of one degree of duration. If you are running a stock cammed engine you will usually benefit by installing 1.8 ratio rocker arms on the intake side. Benefit is usually about 15hp. My engines don't really need them cuz I believe my cam is a hair too large anyway. I was considering buying/trying the Scorpian brand rockers in 1.7:1 ratio---just haven't heard much about them.
Old 12-11-2002, 10:48 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Opie272 / ragtop409:with a big block the 1.8 rocker puts the push rod cup closer on the fulcrum to the stud this can cause the push rod tube to rub on the head in some motors. That is the only drawback, with a little mild machining your ready to go. I run 1.8's and never had a problem.

26scarab: jesel does make a good product, but on a bbc stud girdles aren't madatory for harland or crower, although recomended on higher hp applications. I believe jesel rockers also offer a stud girdle.

kaama: steel rockers are allitle more expensive than alloy and would be stronger if cast like an alluminum rocker but what alluminum as a metal lacks in strength the make up in design. Harlan drockers have been tested against stainless in varieties of break tests and actually both rockers broke at almost exactly the same pressure.
Old 12-11-2002, 10:59 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Justonce,
Maybe I should have elaborated. I meant the Jesel shaft mounted rockers. There are no studs or polylocks to deal with. T & D also makes this style.

Quick Reply: Roller Rockers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.