Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Roller Rockers >

Roller Rockers

Notices

Roller Rockers

Old 12-08-2002, 05:54 PM
Ric232

Default Roller Rockers

I still have the stock rocker arms on my Merc 454 Mag MPI. I've made only minor modifications to the engine (see below). I'm wondering if I should swap to roller rockers, but I've heard the benefits are minimal. I'm looking for input.

1. Are there any advantages other than less friction and less side-load?

2. Are there any disadvantages? Do they have to be re-built/replaced more often the stock rockers? (which last 2000 hrs in come cases).

3. Crane Gold or Comp Pro Magnum?

4. I've heard Crane's are noisier than stock. Anyone else experience this?

5. I'm a shadetree mechanic at best (did the mods below myself). Can I do this swap myself CORRECTLY? How difficult is the adjustment procedure?

Thanks

Old 12-08-2002, 06:11 PM
cheitman

I've always had good luck with Harland Sharp. The rollers free up some friction and are an exact ratio whereas stamped steel are not cast exact in some cases. They say you can see up to 20hp but don't count on it. You probably won't notice any change but they are easier on your valvetrain. As far as lifespan, i've put around 50,000 miles on my Harland Sharps between many motors in my race/street car and never had one fail yet. I am also running a solid roller cam with very high spring pressures. Harland Sharp guarantees them forever also.

Old 12-09-2002, 08:50 AM
Offshore Addiction

Ive got a set of good crane gold race I'llsell you cheap,you should get quicker r's with rollers.........

Old 12-09-2002, 09:18 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

I am good friends with the people from Harland Sharp, and I will tell you first hand they are a class act opperation their rockers are simply the best for the money and period for that point. they will stand behind thier product completely. they test theirs and others like crane and beat the **** outa both I can't tell you how many broker crane rockers I've seen.not bashing crane but when it comes to my motors I only go orange.http://www.harlandsharp.com/

Last edited by JUST ONCE; 12-09-2002 at 09:22 AM.
Old 12-09-2002, 09:20 AM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Based on my personal experience with Crane stuff I wouldn't put them in my motor even if they paid me to.
Old 12-09-2002, 01:50 PM
Ric232

Are the Harland roller rockers as "worry-free" as the non-adjustable stock rockers? Can I install them and forget them since my motor is relatively stock? Or will they have to be adjusted or re-built periodically?

I noticed the Harlands are for "race" engines. Will they last a long time on a non-race engine or are they really designed to be run hard and re-built/replaced periodically?

Thanks,

Old 12-09-2002, 02:25 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 987 Likes on 500 Posts

I'm with Bigwavz on this one!! too many broken poly-loks....i stopped keeping track after the 5th!!!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 12-09-2002, 02:43 PM
Registered

RIC232:the harland rockers need to be adjusted periodically if your running a solid lifter cam. but if this is the case you'll have to adjust your stock rockers periodically to.If you are using a hudraulic lifter cam setup you will only need to set them up once like your stock rockers. In any case I reconend periodically checking your rocker adjustment. A roller rocker like these will last as long as a standard rocker or longer. With less friction and resistance you will gain hp and economy on even a stock motor due to friction reduction. long story short you can't go wrong. I've seen big blocks with Harland rockers gernade I mean mashed push rod tubes broken cams and an undamaged rocker that is still in spec. they are a great way to eliminate a weak link and gain power.
Old 12-09-2002, 04:41 PM
Registered

if your going to step up to roller rockers what do you all think of going up one size in ratio? like factory 1.7 to Harland 1.8 ? Charlie PS I run Scorpion Race serise in the 409
Old 12-09-2002, 04:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I switched from roller rockers back to stock (long story) on my 454s. Noticed a much quieter valve train after switching to the stamped rockers. Why would this be? Not sure of the manufacturer of the roller rockers... no name or part number and they came on the engines when I bought the boat. Planing to go back to the roller rockers over winter. Any reason why I should reconsider?

BT

Quick Reply: Roller Rockers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.