Dart Pro 1 head thickness (FYI) >

Dart Pro 1 head thickness (FYI)

Notices

Dart Pro 1 head thickness (FYI)

Old 12-09-2002, 10:24 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dart Pro 1 head thickness (FYI)

Kaama started a thread entitled "head size for a 598 engine". In that thread I mentioned that I was building a 598 with a stage 4 Pro Charger, using the Dart Pro 1 CNC 355 head.

A couple of guys made the statement that those heads have a thin deck surface and are not a good choice for a blower app.

Well, I just got off the phone with the tech dept. at Dart. The average deck thickness on those heads are "about .680", his exact words.
I dont know what you guys think, but, I would tend to think that .680 is plenty.

Just a little FYI
DAVE
Old 12-09-2002, 10:57 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I spoke to Dean Nickerson a couple of weeks ago inquiring about a 1000HP blower motor and where to start. I figured he would suggest some heads other than my 325 Pro 1. He suggested going 572" and said the Pro 1 heads (with some opening up) are just fine to use in this application. If you were starting from ground zero, they may not be the BEST choice, but if you already have them they will work great. I have used some of Nickerson's products and trust his opinion. Plus he is a dealer for numerous heads and would not pass up an opportunity to further explain the weaknesses of the Pro 1 if they were truly not up to the task.
Hope this helps!!
Old 12-09-2002, 12:06 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So is that from .500" to .750" and averages about .670"??
Old 12-13-2002, 01:29 PM
bobby daniels

DAVE YOU REALLY DIDN'T THINK DART WOULD SAY THEIR HEADS HAD PROBLEMS ,,WELL ENOUGH ABOUT THAT

EVEN THE AIR-FLOW IS MIN. 750. PERIOD

PICK UP A BRODIX AND A DART THE BRODIX AND AIR FLO WEIGHT MORE WHY?? YOU WOULD THROW THE DART DOWN IT WOULD NOT EVEN MAKE A GOOD ANCHOR

I HAVE 2 OF DEANS BLOWER MOTORS IN MY SHOP TO FRESHEN UP AND THEY ARE NICE BUT NO PRO-ONES ON THEM VETTE HE'S
A GOOD GUY AND AS YOU SAID TRYING TO SAVE YOU MONEY

BUY WHAT YOU WANT WE WERE JUST PUTTING OUT FACT SINCE WE'VE SEENTONS OF ALL AND MOST HAVE TRULY NOT AND JUST HAVE OPINONS WHICH WE ALL KNOW WHAT THERE LIKE

GOOD LUCK PHONING AROUND ,YOU'LL GET A GOOD SALESMAN

Old 12-13-2002, 03:06 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bobby, what are some of the problems you have had as far as failures caused by the lack of thickness with the Pro 1's? Just curious as I am sure many other members are. Thanks, Craig
Old 12-13-2002, 03:06 PM
bob
Charter Member #40
Charter Member

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Pro 1's

I have been head shoping myself and two very well know shops said the Pro 1 is a pretty good flowing head and would work fine ......with closed cooling. With fresh water cooling both suggested either steel or 320/360 or Brodix or Canfield.
Old 12-13-2002, 04:41 PM
Registered

Under thread "Whipple Users" Dustin Whipple strongly suggests the use of Dart Pro one heads, specifically the 335 for the Whipple product. Would the brodix or some other head be a better choice.
Old 12-13-2002, 06:33 PM
bobby daniels

HEY GUYS ALL I'M TRYING TO DO IS SAVE TROUBLE FOR GUYS WITH BLOWN BOATS OR BOATS THAT ARE RUN VERY HARD AND MAY BUILD HEAT IN HEADS

CRAIG THE PRO-1'S REALLY ARE GREAT FLOWING H.P.MAKING HEADS BUT FOR OUR OR MOST BOATING APPS. THEY ARE TO THIN AND THE DECK WILL WARP UNDER BOOST AND HEATING SITUATIONS I'VE GOT 4 NOW IN THE SHOP THAT HAVE DONE THIS
BOBS THREAD IS GOOD IN ONE WAY THERE IS NOT ENOUGHT MATERIAL IN THE HED TO LAST WITH SALT WATER
THIS IS ALL MY EXPERANCE !

AIR-FLOW HAS THE BEST FLOWING HEAD YOU CAN BUY OUT OF THE BOX PERIOD LOOK AT THEIR PAGE AND COMPARE EXHAUST NUMBERSTHIS IS CRITIAL WITH A BLOWER AS THE BLOWER WILL GET IT IN

THE BRODIX AND AIR-FLOW WEIGHT A BUNCH MORE THIS TELLS YOU ITS TOUGHER AND MOR RIDGED
I'VE FLOWED ALOT OF HEADS AND FLOW IS IMPORTANT BUT IT HAS TO HOLD UP IN ANBOAT

BB-2XRA AND AIR-FLOW ARE GREAT FLOWING TOUGH HEADS
DUSTIN IS VERY SMART ANHE 'S RIGHT THE PRO-1 FLOWS BUT THE AIR FLOW IS TONS BETTER ALL AROUND AND THE BB2XTRA IS NEXT

HOPE THIS HELPS ! I'LL PRICE ANY HEAD FOR YOU AND SAVE YOU MONEY BUT I DON'T WON'T PROBLEMS LATER

MY 1 WORTH

Last edited by bobby daniels; 12-13-2002 at 06:41 PM.

Old 12-13-2002, 07:00 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Bobby, I highly respect your opinions, but has your shop ever put an AFR head on the flow bench and done any comparisons with Brodix, Dart, etc. I mean, everyone who manufactures heads likes to advertise good numbers in the magazines and on their websites, but how much of that is a bunch of ear bending crap? For instance; how much does AFR's 335cc CNC'd head compare to the Dart Pro-1 335cc CNC'd head???? Who's head's flow better OUT OF THE BOX in the CNC'd 355-360 catagory----Dart, Brodix, AFR, Pro-Topline, Canfield??? I already know that the more meat a head has that the more you can port it and shape it----but I want to know what OUT OF THE BOX CNC'd numbers for these big hot dog head manufactures REALLY show on a flow bench and what kind of power they make on the dyno with all else being equal. I want to hear who is TRUELY the king of the hill. I'd like to know the REAL scoop on all these advertised head flow numbers with their CNC's heads. I don't know if you have that kind of info avialable Bobby, but it would sure be nice to know. Thanks.

Mark/KAAMA
Old 12-13-2002, 07:05 PM
Registered

I think you'll find most of the above mentioned heads are within 5-10 hp of each other. If you're serious about making power do what the big boys do...PONTIACS..... Get out the checkbook if you want to "boat" in those waters

Quick Reply: Dart Pro 1 head thickness (FYI)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.