v6 to v8 swap >

v6 to v8 swap

Notices

v6 to v8 swap

Old 12-11-2002, 07:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default v6 to v8 swap

any of you guys tha have done a swap from a 4.3 v6 to a small block v8 i have a question. did you have to move the front two motor mounts or did they line up in the same spot. I know the back end will match up perfectly (thank you GM). plus any other issues you ran into with a swap like this.
Old 12-11-2002, 08:48 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, you have to relocate them forward several inches. As long as you have enough clearance in front for the added length of the V8, everything bolts right up. If you're putting much HP in it your outdrive will probably be geared wrong.
Old 12-12-2002, 04:30 AM
Six Leg Dog

You'll need to change the setting on the back of your tachometer

Old 12-12-2002, 02:41 PM
Registered

looks like i will have to do soem fiberglass work too then the way my motor mounts are setup they sit ontop of a platform glassed into the stringer that doesnt go mucn furter forward i will have to make it come further forward or find a super charger for the V6
Old 12-12-2002, 02:53 PM
Registered

Dont forget the fuel system, mounts, tach setting, prop, less under hatch room.... etc.

do a little bit to that V6 and get better gas mileage, better hp/weight ratio=more speed.

Just .02 from someone building up a V6 later this winter.
Old 12-12-2002, 04:39 PM
DonMan

I have a buddy that uses Chevy V6`s in one of his racecars. I think he makes well over 600 hp. There is also an engine shop here in town that runs a Camaro on the NHRA circuit with a V6. He also builds V6`s for aviation use. I think he is getting about 750 hp from his race engine. There is lots of potential there, just think of it as a small block with 2 cylinders chopped off.

Old 12-12-2002, 06:00 PM
Registered

Yep, a 350 w/o the back cylinders.

Buy a Edelbrock intake mani, and a holley Carb for 400 more rpm's.
Old 12-13-2002, 09:25 AM
Registered

thats what i am trying to decide if i just want to hop up the v6 or swap it out. I already have the edelbrock intake and carb on it mad a huge diffrence over the 2bbl.
Old 12-13-2002, 11:31 AM
Registered

Well, if you go to the 350" I will be interested in the Edlebrock intake and carbiem

There are pros and cons for both.

V6- Pros
wont be as thirsty as 350"
less weight
more under hatch room

cons- will never make the power a 350" does.
bolt on a simple part on a big motor= more results than on a small motor.
no deep V8 rumble.
Old 12-13-2002, 08:47 PM
Advantage27

I am into off-road racing here out on the west coast and many of the top guys are running fuel injected V-6's in their open cars. They are getting a consistent 450-500hp. The run these motors in their off-road cars for a couple thousand miles and they hold together, in fact a chevy v-6 just won the baja 1000. There is definitely potential in these motors just not sure how it would carry over to a marine application. Just a thought. If you want I could give you the number to some builders.

Quick Reply: v6 to v8 swap

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.