Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
How do you guys run your breathers? >

How do you guys run your breathers?

Notices

How do you guys run your breathers?

Old 12-14-2002, 03:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do you guys run your breathers?

Here is a mock up of how I am going to do it with my new KE 2 piece valve covers. From my experience the mushrooms seem to leak and the clamp on get saturated and also blow a mist of oil onto the motor. I have had the best luck just running them to the flame arrestor as shown on my weak mock-up. What are you guys doing on your custom set-ups?
Attached Thumbnails How do you guys run your breathers?-ke-valve-covers.jpg  
Old 12-14-2002, 11:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same...right to the flame arrestor
Attached Thumbnails How do you guys run your breathers?-mvc-002s.jpg  
Old 12-15-2002, 09:00 AM
Registered

Very nice looking engine compartment!!! Looks like it could be difficult to do spark plug readings or changes in the center.
Old 12-15-2002, 09:23 PM
Registered

Are any of you using PCV valves?
Mine are run to the flame arrestors (without PCVs) and I still get oil collecting on the bottom of the arrestors, drips onto motors. Thinking of adding PCVs to them.???
Valve covers don't have the baffles beneath breathers. Anyone else having this problem?

Great looking engines
Old 12-15-2002, 10:28 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

Can't just add PCVs to both breathers.

If you run PCV valve, you will have to tap one breather to the intake at a vacuum port and run the PCV in the opposite rocker cover.

A PCV is intended for a system that pulls a vacuum on the whole inside of the motor. Not what you want.

Valve covers NEED the baffles, or you'll never get rid of the oil mist being sucked into the flame arrestor. You can add sheetmetal baffles and pop them with a ball peen hammer to make them clear your rockers.

You can also add a sheetmetal spacer under your flame arrestor and raise it 3/4 inch. Add a hose nub on each side and plumb the breather hoses to it. That way, the oil drips into the carb, not onto the top of the motor.
Old 12-16-2002, 04:15 AM
Registered

Thanx for the info.
Someone else had told me they were running PCVs on their sc'd engine....they must've thought the hoses running to the arrestor was PCVs!
Think I'll pull the valve covers and add some baffles this winter. Had the same problem on a car a few yrs ago till I added the bafffles.
Thanx again.
Old 12-16-2002, 07:14 AM
Registered

Sometimes you can get away with just using the baffled grommets. It would be very easy to give them a shot and they may even work!
Old 12-16-2002, 08:35 AM
Brad Perry

Default Hey Wette,

Got the boat out yesterday and couldn't get the century mark

Best we could muster was 98mph. I think it really needs a shorter x dim and maybe some more trim. I was pretty easy on the trim, as I don't have my gauges dialed in yet an am a little paranoid of the u-joints now. Anywho, the motor behaved great. I richened it up a tad like all suggested and it idled great in gear.

One question I have for you, and others with hp singles, is do you notice a lot of torque roll in the hull at speed. The boat definitely cranks over to port when at WOT. I've never noticed this with other engines and combos.

Old 12-16-2002, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

I haven't tried it but was told by an old racer that the best place to put your breather is just in front of the distributor in the valley of the intake manifold if you have room. Suppose to be clean and non misted. It would also look much cleaner
Just a thought.
WetteVette,
did you get my PM?
Later,
Dave
Old 12-16-2002, 08:53 AM
Registered

Brad,
Sounds like it is coming together for ya!! I notice a little torque roll through the mid range under hard acceleration, but not on the big end. Sometimes it does a little dance when I come off WOT quickly, but nothing to alarming. 98 MPH is not to shabby considering your first real run on the new set-up. Get her propped and dialed in and 102 to 105 should be a reality. Guess I better start thinking about more HP if I am going to make a run at the fastest single engine Baja on the board. Keep us posted!!
Craig

Quick Reply: How do you guys run your breathers?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.