Electric over hydraulic brakes >

Electric over hydraulic brakes

Notices

Electric over hydraulic brakes

Old 12-15-2002, 04:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Electric over hydraulic brakes

Where can I find information on electric over hydraulic trailer brakes?

TIA
Skip
Old 12-15-2002, 07:05 PM
Byron

The only one I know would be Bill of Myco trailers. They are the only way to go. I towed a 45' triple Sonic all over the country, smooth as silk!

Old 12-15-2002, 07:12 PM
bayou outlaw

Skip, I did a lot of research last year on electric trailer brakes, after constant problems with the old hydraulic drum setup. End result was that I replaced my old drum brakes with a new disc setup. It was piece of cake and now I don't have to worry about them for quite a while. They are easy to spray off unlike the old hubs. Some guys have electric brakes on their boat trailers but bottom line is they are better suited for travel and utility type trailers. P.S. I love my new disc setup. It was worth a few extra bucks. My .02............. Andy

Old 12-16-2002, 03:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To answer your question.....
try going to Champion Trailers on the web. Also, use Google (search engine) & search for trailer disc brakes. There are several manufacturers including Kodiak...... Now the big problem is the actuator.... this is somewhat more problematic. The reason being is the application of the trailer brakes always is AFTER the vehicle brakes. This delay causes a "little" problem. Do more research on "electric &/or elec over hydraulic brake actuators also thru Google.com. Interesting reading .... I still havent decided which actuator to use yet.... both kinds still require an inside the vehicle device also. Also, don't forget the "back-up solenoid. Without it, you cannot back up (if using a surge brake type actuator). Let us know what you end up doing. I have the discs with a surge type actuator now.... still looking to change it next summer. I now have boat #2 to convert to disc's also.
There is someone on the board that has this electric actuator but cannot remember who it was. Do a search on it.
Old 12-16-2002, 04:02 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To answer your question.....
try going to Champion Trailers on the web. Also, use Google (search engine) & search for trailer disc brakes. There are several manufacturers including Kodiak...... Now the big problem is the actuator.... this is somewhat more problematic. The reason being is the application of the trailer brakes always is AFTER the vehicle brakes. This delay causes a "little" problem. Do more research on "electric &/or elec over hydraulic brake actuators also thru Google.com. Interesting reading .... I still havent decided which actuator to use yet.... both kinds still require an inside the vehicle device also. Also, don't forget the "back-up solenoid. Without it, you cannot back up (if using a surge brake type actuator). Let us know what you end up doing. I have the discs with a surge type actuator now.... still looking to change it next summer. I now have boat #2 to convert to disc's also.
There is someone on the board that has this electric actuator but cannot remember who it was. Do a search on it.

Tie Down Engineering also makes them...... search with
"electric over hydraulic" you will find many discussions.
Old 12-16-2002, 04:41 PM
Registered

After owning trailers with surge / discs & electric over hydraulic discs, the electric over hydraulic are the only way to go with a larger boat. They stop much better than the surge, and can be adjusted while driving with the controller inside the tow vehicle. This is very nice while going down long grades, or havinf to stop quickly becaue of traffic.
Old 12-16-2002, 05:58 PM
Registered

I recently bought a MYCO with the electric over hydraulic brakes and they are great. The issue blown formula mentions, delay from vehicle brake actuation to trailer brake actuation, is a function of the controller.

The controller I have has a "kick start" function that sends an actuation pulse to the trailer brakes the instant the brake pedal is pushed. It is adjustable and can be set based on you load and personal preferance. You can basically set it up to react with your tow vehicle brakes with no lag at all.

There is no "surge brake" lag with this braking system. It acts just like electric brakes and the "kick start" function I mentioned takes care of the hydrulic lag that can occur. It takes time for the pump that sets on the trailer to "pump" the brakes up.

The system uses an electric actuator to provide the hydraulic pressure for brake actution. The trailer frame is rigid, no sliding tongue, no back up solenoids, etc.

Like Byron, I tow my boat all over the place and this is an excellent braking system. It's a little more expensive, but if you tow a lot, it is worth the money,
Old 12-16-2002, 07:43 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Ausco is the Mfg. of the system I have on my Myco. have a website with product info. It works great.

Good Luck.