Raising compression by milling heads >

Raising compression by milling heads

Notices

Raising compression by milling heads

Old 12-15-2002, 06:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raising compression by milling heads

How many thousanths milled from the head will it take to reduce one cc in combustion chamber volume? This is on open chamber bbc heads. Looking to raise compression from 8.1:1 to 8.5:1 (at least). Using aluminum edelbrock heads, so I don't think I can use the steel shim gaskets?? Have closed cooling though, so corrosion wouldn't be a problem if I could. Any ideas/input would be appreciated,

BT
Old 12-15-2002, 07:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a formula around somewhere for angle milling. Ill look for it at work tomorow. It should work for straight cut with a little massaging.
Old 12-15-2002, 07:07 PM
Registered

I thought about angle milling too, but afaid that would make my exhaust angle out too much? Any experience there? I have twins and the room between the risers in minimal already.

BT
Old 12-15-2002, 07:11 PM
Registered

Make sure that you mill the intake manifold after the heads are milled. This will make for a trouble free assembly.

Most performance machine shops know how much to mill to change compression.
Old 12-15-2002, 09:38 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Blue Thunder, I don't think you want to go to all the trouble of ANGLE milling your heads. Yes you will make more power with angle milled heads, but if the shop makes one teensy little mistake (and they may not always admit it by telling you) it will cause you a ton of headaches! Just ask Mr. Gadgets---it's not worth the headaches and all the grief. STRAIGHT milling the heads would be okay---but ANGLE milling you're just asking for potential problems. We wacked off .040" from my heads to gain about a 1/2 point in compression, but understand there are variables involved. Also, do NOT mill anything off the intake manifolds until you FIRST mock them up on the milled heads. We thought we had to mill my intake manifolds after milling .040" off my heads, but found out we didn't have too---they fit fine. Best Wishes.
Old 12-15-2002, 09:51 PM
Registered

Yea , I agree . Having done the angle thing, I wouldnt do it again. It makes everything custom. It didnt really affect my exhaust enough to notice.
Old 12-16-2002, 09:05 AM
Registered

Going only a 1/2 pt in compression..........How much will that really give you

Cost + Headace of fitting stuff may not even = noticeable gain ?

Ask some guys who have played around on the dyno what an expected gain will be before you go through the trouble.

Just a thought.
Old 12-16-2002, 11:48 AM
bobby daniels

HEY GUYS THE RIGHT WAY TO DO IT IS ANGLE MILL THE HEADS SO ANY STOCK INTAKE WILL FIT WITH OUT CUTTING THE INTAKE ,,I DO THIS ALL THE TIME AND IT KEEPS EVERYTHING IN LINE
ONE HALF POINT DOES HELP ON A N/A MOTOR AND FOR THE 40.00 BUCKS TO CUT THE HEADS ITS CHEAP H.P. NOT ALL SHOPS KNOW HOW TO DO THIS BUT MOST GOOD ONES CAN

Old 12-16-2002, 04:02 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,904 Likes on 957 Posts

I had my 454 rect port heads milled .020. The machine shop that did the work said that for every .005, it would reduce the CC size by 1cc. When I calculated it, it increased comp by .25.
The machine shop also said that as long as you don't go more than .030, that there shouldn't be any problems with the intake.

Also take into consideration which head gaskets you are using and which ones you are going to use. Stock mercs are like .030 and the Fel pro Marines are .039. So if you mill .030 and go from the stock mercs to Fel pro's you gain .021 and about .25 on your CR.
Old 12-16-2002, 04:07 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,904 Likes on 957 Posts

Also as far as gaskets with the aluminum heads, the felpro #1037 which I used says its compatible with iron or aluminum heads. The #1027 says aluminum only. The 1037's have a SS core.

Quick Reply: Raising compression by milling heads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.