Notices

Rod Length?

Old 12-17-2002, 05:33 PM
FindMe

JP... yes this is good debate/learning material, but I think we may have got off track. You are speaking of average piston speed, and ursus is measuring the amount of distance traveled by the piston in a given time. It may help if we are going to talk about piston Velocity, if everyone was on the same page and knew the definition of Velocity so we aren't comparing apples to pistons... lol

ve·loc·i·ty
(vEl¼s“¹-t¶) n., pl. ve·loc·i·ties. 1. Abbr. vel. Rapidity or speed of motion; swiftness. 2. Abbr. V Physics. A vector quantity whose magnitude is a body's speed and whose direction is the body's direction of motion. 3.a. The rate of speed of action or occurrence. b. The rate at which money changes hands in an economy.

1). When any 2 crankshafts are at 0 degrees, 90 degrees, 180 degrees or 270 degrees, they will all be the same place in their total stoke by degrees, which does nothing to speed up the piston, as 1 revolution is still 1 revolution.And this I believe is what ursus is speaking of in terms of simple math, which still has nothing to do with piston Velocity}.

2). Again, simple physics and math will confirm this every time, and thats why added rod length changes the point of peak piston velocity, not stroke.
again, understanding what Velocity means verifies this statement

3). With a 350 Chevy, switching to 6" rods from 5.7" ones will delay peak piston velocity from 74.5 degrees to 75.5 degrees ATDC.
Again, velocity is how fast the piston accelerates and point of where the fastest rate of acceleration is, not how far it goes, its average speed, distance, or amount of stroke

4).Reducing piston acceleration / deceleration from and toward TCD will reduce tensile loading of the rod, the number 1 cause of rod failure. A Chevy 350 with 5.7" rods will have a peak piston acceleration rate of 101699.636 ft/sec/sec at 7000 rpm. Swapping in 6" rods will reduce that to 100510.406 ft/sec/sec at that same rpm. That is a reduction of 1189.23 ft/sec/sec. A longer rod is moving slower at TDC

5).Due to the fact that the longer rod moves past TDC slower, it gives the charge a longer time to burn. So you need less timing for peak power.
We all have valid arguements of sorts, but if we are going to talk about the effects of rod length changing the rate of piston Velocity as it is defined, then those same simple physics still will confirm that the average speed, amount of distance travelled in a given time or how far it travels does not apply to anything to do with the Velocity of the piston. While stroking an engine will change the events of the rotating assembly, the reason for adding rod length is not to gain or lose piston speed for cubic inches, but to change the rate and timing of a pistons velocity on a given cubic inch motor. Bigger is always better, but increasing the rod length does nothing to give you more cubic inches or displacement. Simple physics.... it changes the timing of a fixed event in a given engine, taking stress off the rods, side load off the pistons, and adding to the power event BTDC. A 454 is a 454, a 502 is a 502, a 350 is a 350.... simple physics..... ~I think~

Old 12-17-2002, 06:06 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I was talking about piston velocity I was not talking about it's up and down movement rather it's time at TDC, & BDC will change with rod length (given everything else is equal) Plus the longer rod will change your side load on the wrist pins and piston walls
Old 12-17-2002, 06:11 PM
blown1500

RumRunner, your exactly right. My point is, velocity is synnomous with speed, not acceleration or change in velocity and my statement stands.

Old 12-17-2002, 07:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Confusing the issue will not change physics. Average (and over 90% of terminal) velocity of a piston at a given/fixed rpm is completely dependent on the distance of the center of the crank pin from the center of the crank (that would be 1/2 total stroke). We need to end this before we get stupid (which obiviously we are not) and mess up everyone else. Catch you all on another thread cause I don't think we're helping anyone out here anymore . Later --- Jer
Old 12-18-2002, 12:29 AM
FindMe

BINGO RUMRUNNER At least we are on the same page...

THAT is exactly what changes by altering rod length, and we can pull different aspects of a relative event into it and argue it's correct, or this changes that, but nothing anyone but you and myself said can change those properties. And Blown 1500 Im not going to argue with you and what you say may be true, but it has nothing to do with the specifics of changing rod length without changing the stroke,...PERIOD It is a timing event relative to TDC and BDC, and my physics work fine when I don't try to compare things that are not related, and stay on topic..... still some good info came out in this thread, and thanks to all for sharing...

Last edited by FindMe; 12-18-2002 at 07:55 AM.

Old 12-18-2002, 08:01 AM
ursus

Originally posted by formulafastech
you are correct that the piston that is on the longer rod will have traveled a greater distance,
1st of all I said the piston will travel a greater distance in the bore because it is on a crank with a longer stroke, 4.25 inches vs 4.00" and that the length of the rod is does not matter to this. At 0 degrees the piston pin and hence the piston will be 4" or 4.25 inches away from the point where it was when the crank was at 180 depending on the cranks stroke, period, rod lenth does not affect this in any way shape or form.

Originally posted by formulafastech
but it will not have traveled that distance at a greater velocity.
2nd, Velocity = distance / time

if you travel , 4.25 inches versus 4" in the same ammount of time, because the rpm is the same, the velocity increases, it does not get any simpler

Old 12-18-2002, 08:20 AM
ursus

Default Re: Rod Length?

Now to answer the original question
Originally posted by HyperBaja
Whats the different length do? can run morestroke? less of a compression ratio?

1. no you can't run more stroke just because of rod length.

1/2 Stroke + rod lgth + comp height = deck height of block

so if you change stroke you must adjust either rod length or compression height ( the distance between the center of the piston pin and the top of the piston) or both.

2. Although it can no you don't change compression ratio with rod length, if you lengthen the rod say 6.135" to 6.385" and change nothing else the piston would crash 1/4 inch through the head, see part 1. If you change the rod from say 6.385 to 6.135 and change nothing else compresion ratio would indeed be lowered from say 9:1 to 5:1

3. So what does dif length do? a longer rod will be at less of an angle when the crank is at 90 degrees maybe 18 degrees instead of 17 degrees. This will mean less side loading on the piston in the bore which is desirable, less drag=more power and less wear. To use a longer rod the the compresson heght of the piston must be decreased the same ammount though which is not desireable, less land are between rings = less reliability. So there is an optimum compromise for a given deck height.

Old 12-18-2002, 09:22 AM
blown1500

Ursus, you have the right idea. Dwell time at TDC increases as rod/stroke ratio increases also. This is a good thing for performance. Smokey Yunick said to max out everything then put in the longest rod you can use. A boat motor is a puller motor and if you check rod length in industrial applications, they are usually very long, indeed. Short rods do make better response at part throtle, low rpm-not usually a priorty in our world. The dyno and real world has shown me that the longer rod, even if you have to do tricks to the oil ring is worth the effort. Use your own judgement. We like to run 6.8" rods in a 4.25" stroke engine-better power, economy, and longevity-even though most builders seem to prefer 6.385" rods for this application.

Old 12-18-2002, 09:51 AM
ursus

We like to run 6.8" rods in a 4.25" stroke engine-better power, economy, and longevity-even though most builders seem to prefer 6.385" rods for this application.
Yes

Using a standard 9.8" deck block and a 4.25 " stroke builders have basically 2 choices, 6.135" rods and 1.52" comp height pistons or 6.385 rods and 1.27" compresion height pistons the short rod is a little steep the geometry is pushed to 19.45 degrees, with 17 or less usually being considered optimal. The 6.385" rod however only leaves 1.27" deck height which is not much room for rings and they sometimes have sealing/reliability problems, this is why when building a 540cid it is preferable to use a tall block, 10.2 or more

A 10.2 inch block allows 6.535" rods a 1.52" comp height and 18.3 degree max rod angle geometry. Using 6.8 " rods in a tall block (10.2") you get a nice 17.4 degree max rod angle geometry but you are back to 1.27" pistons probably not the optimum but it is a compromise eiter way

Old 12-18-2002, 09:13 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok.. very interesting.. But if you had the choice of building a long rod motor or a stroker motor.. which would make more power or better suit the marine enviroment?
I took things to the extreme and ened up with a 1.88 rod ratio in my BBC... I have not been able to run the combination to it's limits to see if I made the right choice..

FindMe...... concerning the timing issue.. how much timing should I run wiht such a ratio.. are we talking a great deal of reduction? or maybe a few degrees??
That poses another question.. how does everyone determine max timing for a motor combination.. without a dyno.. my boat is my dyno.

Thanks..

Dick

Quick Reply: Rod Length?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.