Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Coming soon- Camless Engines? >

Coming soon- Camless Engines?

Notices

Coming soon- Camless Engines?

Old 12-17-2002, 08:52 AM
Bayley

Back in the old TRW "glory days", they were working on something like this. It supposedly worked very well, but was never realistic in mass production sales (i.e. no suppliers for the OEM's to beat up on to get the price down to $0.30 per solenoid... )

Old 12-17-2002, 09:33 AM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So far, the biggest challenge has been to match the camshaft lobes' efficiency in accelerating/decelerating the valve itself, so it does not "pound" back into the seat. The solenoids are more than capable of handling speeds well in excess of 10,000 RPM, it's the finesse of how it does it that needs to be addressed.

This will more than likely be part of the software installed in the computer running the valve timing, utilizing hydraulic or spring-loaded dampers. The University of Michigan, and MIT are leaders in this technology; Ford already has a running prototype.

It won't be far around the corner, and yes, we the consumer get to pay the price, again.
Old 12-17-2002, 09:51 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am a big fan of F1. I don't think that there is a single camshaft in all of F1.
Old 12-17-2002, 04:15 PM
Registered

That pic just looks weird. What happens when the connections get dirty from normal engine dust?
Old 12-17-2002, 05:10 PM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Originally posted by HyperBaja
That pic just looks weird. What happens when the connections get dirty from normal engine dust?
hyper-
I'm not sure what 'dust' you are referring to- if you mean electrical components and wiring exposed to heat, oil, or vibration, that is the least of the problems to fix. Today's conductors and connectors, switches and solenoids can handle just about anything, and will last a long while (i.e. proximity switches in thrust reversers on jets, thermocouples in the hot section of the turbine engine relaying ITT info, etc.).
Getting rid of the entire valve train other than the valve and an actuator does simplify matters a great deal. It's trying to make it act like a cam that's hard!
Old 12-17-2002, 06:13 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just found the article about F1. It really doesn't say much about the engines other than they are 3 litres and V10's. They do talk about different V angles... most are between 72deg and 90 deg V's.
They do have electronic traction control some using cylinder dropping to decrease engine power.

I still stand firm on the fact that they have NO camshafts.
With the degree of electronic engine and transmission managment that they have it isn't surprising.

Doesn't Shumacker make something like $10 mill a year driving ? If they can pay that then the sky is the limit in engine development.

Just was surfing about F1 stuff... it is absolutley unbelievable. They talk about real time piston telemetry so they can see how effiecient the engine is burning the fuel.
and check this site out: www.allf1******/engines/engines.php

The Honda actually states "4 pneumatic valves"

As usual the people from across the pond kick our asses in the tech department.

Something is really wierd, I keep trying to put in the correct address and it won't work. After the site should read allf1******
I don't know why it takes out the info and puts in asterisks

Last edited by 26scarab; 12-17-2002 at 06:39 PM.
Old 12-17-2002, 07:52 PM
Banned
Gold Member

Default Camless Engines

They exist in industry already. International Truck and Engine has numerous engines that do not use a conventional valve train or camshaft. The computer controlled solenoids add efficency, variable timing and increased emmissions all at a significant weight reduction. Though I'm sure they are far away from making this set up mainstream. Plus as stated earlier, i'm sure the cost is significant, but then again weren't Pentium computers $$$ when they first came out???
Old 12-17-2002, 08:12 PM
Registered

Now this is really an interesting thread!! Sort of makes the "rod length" debate look like a kindegarden recess squabble. Sign me up for a camless cause I've had enough problems with the others. But then the hot 2-strokes are and have been camless for a long time. Sometimes I wonder why I ever switched over - I guess it was the torque and the SOUND!. --- Jer
Old 12-17-2002, 09:45 PM
Registered

The big question is one of technology. The technology exists today to manufacture a "cam less" engine. The question becomes do you actuate the valves with electricity or do you do it with hydraulics.

Look at the HEUI system on Caterpillars engines. That same technology can be used to actuate valves......very easily. The competing technology is electrically actuated valves (solenoids). Durability, reliability and cost will be the deciding factors.

You are right JAFO, this stuff is coming. And I bet it is introduced on diesel engines first.
Old 12-17-2002, 10:26 PM
Registered

Cummins has been hinting that they have a couple running on the road today. It’s a single reed valve per cylinder. They say it will run at 200hp while cursing on the flats and with the push of the accelerator reconfigures the engine to produce over 600hp. All in the mater of a couple seconds.

Quick Reply: Coming soon- Camless Engines?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.