Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Coming soon- Camless Engines? >

Coming soon- Camless Engines?

Notices

Coming soon- Camless Engines?

Old 12-17-2002, 11:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Imagine how nice it would be to be to turn a knob\flick a switch\buy a new map cartridge, and basically change the cam in minutes.

Yep, F1 engines are limited to 3.0 normally aspirated liters, and Shumacher gets paid 36 million per year. Not too shabby for 16 (i think) races per year.
Old 12-17-2002, 11:56 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

from what i;ve heard f1 uses pnuematic systems. I know they haev a gas canister in eth back you can sometime see it being filled while in the pits. ON practice sessions and stuff not usually during a race. They also run full 2 way telemetry so they can change the "cam" setting mid lap. The "pass" buttons are tied into this system too. neat neat ****! but god awful expensive!
Old 12-18-2002, 09:05 PM
Registered

I always thought that the most progressive thing would be to get that big ol poppit vlave out of the way of the airflow, like a slide or reed.
Old 12-18-2002, 10:04 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Gotta love this Stuff!!!
Old 12-18-2002, 10:40 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

jspeed, i have friend who has been playing with that idea for few years. Onc ehe graduates i think he'll do soem more work on it. Right nwo he is workign on a new idea that he claims will "revolutionize turbochargers". I have no details as of yet.
Old 12-19-2002, 01:25 AM
Registered

yes it's out there...we have a lot of trick stuff that we take out, test/develope and then put back on the racks for some reason...my wife little run about focus is on of the first dual stage intakes (runner lenght change) used with computer controled cam timming...so out of a production 2.0L/6spd getrag you get 175hp...then i had to mess around..so about 200hp...i think all of out diesel toys are coming back out???
Old 12-20-2002, 07:50 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

Would make for a huge alternator, eh?
Old 12-27-2002, 01:20 AM
Registered

I remember a LONG time ago some dude was experimenting with a system to eliminate the traditional valvetrain. The engine was being designed for Indy or F1 type use. He used a large shaft with flats cut in it, situated so that it blocked airflow until the flat rotated around into the port area, opening the passage.

I bet it had a lot of vacuum leaks, etc.

Very interesting subject- How did the desmodromic system work? I seem to remember reading that Mercedes also used that years ago.

Bulldog aka Ronnie
Old 12-27-2002, 06:40 AM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

There was a camless engine used in aircraft of radial design- I have worked on a couple way back. It was called the Bristol Sleeve Valve, and was used on the British Hawker Sea Fury fighter. A sleeve with ports cut in it actuated by a separate master rod, rotates around the cylinder, taking the place of traditional valves. Although it developed a great deal of power, there was a tremendous amount of thrashing parts going on in there, and its relialibilty was questionable at best (still some flying today).
Most SeaFurys raced these days have had their sleeve valve engines replaced with a much more reliable (yeah, right )28 cylinder radial (4 rows of 7cylinders), 4360 CID.
I may have a cutaway picture of the Bristol somewhere- if I can find it, I'll scan and post it for all of you.
Jim
Old 12-27-2002, 09:27 AM
Registered

BMW will most likely sell a camless engine in a car by 2005 or so. It is closer to market that you realize.
The new 7 series already operates without a throttle body. The intake valves change their lift based on the position of the accelerator! They picked up horsepower AND fuel efficiency - not something you see very often.

Steve