Whipples for 700hp/torque???... >

Whipples for 700hp/torque???...

Notices

Whipples for 700hp/torque???...

Old 12-18-2002, 02:39 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Kamma,

Ours are actually a "screw-type" supercharger. Similar in looks and function to a "roots" but it actually compress's the air internally as well as the intake manifold. This allows for a cooler air charge and less parasatic losses.

Thanks,
Dustin

Heres a picture of what they look like:
Attached Thumbnails Whipples for 700hp/torque???...-sc-1.jpg  
Old 12-18-2002, 04:10 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kaama, The roots style I was speaking of was the intercooler it self that Whipple makes. They offer this for many roots style blowers but they also make one for their screw charger to fit on top. The idea here is for my application with lower octane fuel it is a little over kill but if I wanted to run more boost later and make more power (and run premimum) I could without having to buy a bigger intercooler.

Call Dustin if you get a chance he is very helpfull.
Old 12-18-2002, 04:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

KAAMA, I have an idea for you. Go with a longer duration cam and get peak HP up to around 6000 or 6200 RPM. Then your torque will likely be a lower and flatter curve possibly staying below 700 while still netting 700 plus HP. I know you want a smooth idle, but from what I have read you have the patience and knowledge to dial in the fuel delivery at idle and make it work just fine. It is easy to get a motor to idle with a short cam. It takes a little more work to get a big cam to idle nice, but that is the kind of work I enjoy!! Just a thought! I know you are a tuner!
Old 12-18-2002, 05:14 PM
bobby daniels

HEY MARK ,WITH YOUR FUNDS FOR CONSULTATION FEE'S ON OSO I'D JUST CALL MY FRIEND SONNY LEONARD AND ORDER A COUPLE OF HIS 723 INCH DYNO PROVEN BEAST AND FORGET EVERYTHING ELSE

OR CALL AND GET A PAIR OF TORQUES
SPEND SOME OF THAT MONEY BURRIED IN YOUR BACK YARD

Old 12-18-2002, 07:12 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts
Thumbs up Thanks to everyone for you input...

Wow!---lots of good material from Hi-Tech knowledgable people----I'm dually impressed! Thanks to all who have responded. My questions have for the most part been answered. I think Bobby D got it right----the knowledge a person can gain from OSO and the input from people within this thread is priceless. I think the "Technical Q & A" section is where the REAL boaters mostly hang out!

I especially want to thank the Hi-Tech people---the PRO's for responding to my post: blown1500, Dustin Whipple, and Bobby Daniels for all your input. Dang! You guys can really bring the meat to the table, you had it all laid out like a dead soldier!

Hey Vette, I know you're one of the big cube kings as well and you're very knowledgable. When I saw that you were considering a blower you got me thinking about a blower myself! Anyway, you're wrong about me being a tuner. Lord knows I like a well tuned and efficient running engine, but I'm not much of a tuner! I could do it but probably not near as well as someone who has years of experience and KNOWS how to properly tune an engine-----and that's NOT me! I'll leave that to the PRO's!

At this point I am still not sure what I want to do. I just wanted to check my options. I love this sport, but dang it can sure get expensive in a hurry!

Thanks,
Mark/KAAMA
Old 12-18-2002, 08:52 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default KAAMA, Blowers = Broken Bravo

Blowers are tempting, but the fact is you don't need a blower to get 700 HP as you already know. If I do a blower motor it will have no less than 900 HP and will run on pump gas. The only real way to do a blower is some other drive than a bravo. That Whipple picture looks like it is in a v-drive application probably a 21 Schiada. That is my dream boat but with 1000 HP blow motor it becomes a super expensive 21 footer. :cool
Old 12-19-2002, 09:51 AM
Registered

WOW Mark, You gotta love this place. All of the answers in one day. Just open up the check book and get it going. LOL

Ray, Nice looking motor. That baby is gonna rock.

Dustin does the new style supercharger on the top only work with the MEFI3 ECU, or will it work with the older MEFI2.
Always thinking about the next project!
Old 12-19-2002, 01:31 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Yeah Ray, the picture of the engine you've posted looks hot. By eliminating another pulley, those cam driven water pumps really clean up the front of an engine. I have them on my N/A 540's as well. Also, they're MUCH, EXTREMELY that much easier and a WHOLE LOT LESS AGGRIVATING to change an impeller. The stock pulley mounted water pumps are a pain in the ARSE to change over---you practically have to stand on your head to do the job.

I'll take the cam driven water pumps any day!
Old 12-19-2002, 03:37 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rockie,

The top mount only works with the MEFI 3, the MEFI 1/2 does not have the ability to read above 100Kpa, or boost.

Thanks,
Dustin
Old 12-19-2002, 06:18 PM
Registered

Thanks for the info Dustin. I was pretty sure that was the answer, but I wanted to be sure.

Quick Reply: Whipples for 700hp/torque???...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.