Whipples for 700hp/torque???... >

Whipples for 700hp/torque???...

Notices

Whipples for 700hp/torque???...

Old 12-21-2002, 11:15 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mark cant you just Whipple the 540's?????why start completly over? you got some great parts lower the compression and go!!!!
Old 12-21-2002, 01:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

YEAH KAAMA ! whipple the 540's
Old 01-10-2003, 06:50 AM
Registered

You can make 740 plus HP with your motors NA. Up the cam a little and go to 4500 carbs and you are there. It could still be turn key with a lot more cam than you are running. The Whipples would be cool but you are talking some serious bucks for a few HP more than you already have. It will be interesting to hear what Whipple and 1500 have to say though. My opinion as always.
Old 01-11-2003, 02:08 PM
blown1500

Hello, WETTE VETTE,
You can make the horsepower on an NA motor, I have done that too. The motors I build with blowers will make the power, idle much better, easier on parts, smaller cams, less maintenance, better low end performance, etc., etc., etc.
I like NA, but the blower, properly done, I think, is a better investment, especially in a boat!!!!!

Old 01-11-2003, 04:24 PM
Registered

I agree the blower is the ticket for high HP. I guess what I am trying to say is KAAMA's 540's could easily make another 50 HP or so with a cam change and some bigger carbs and still be a turnkey *****cat. He is running some very good flowing heads and I feel he is really leaving some power on the table with his current set-up. Now if he were trying to get 800 HP out of the 540 then his set up would be gettin a little wild and the mild blower motor would be the better choice. Now 800 HP out of a 632 could be a real mild and reliable motor. Personally I wouldn't run a blower unless I was after 900 plus HP. Anything less could be made with a NA motor especially with the big inch stuff available today. Blowers are expensive man!!
Old 01-11-2003, 09:12 PM
blown1500

Good points, WETTE VETTE, the one problem here is he wants a smooth idle and not too much torque. You would have some idle issues and the low end torque would be more then he says he wants. Also, The most reliable power is a NA that is big enough to make the power with a small cam and low compression.

Old 01-12-2003, 12:55 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts
Exclamation LADIES AND GENTELMEN...

In this corner we have;------the man who's boat runs 97mph, a do it yourselfer engine builder, lover of mechanical roller cams, has a face only a mother could love and even she has her doubts, able to burn a full tank of high octane fuel in less that 30 minutes, enemy of anything less than 8 cylinders, eager to talk about engines like a hungry trout chasin' a worm, BIG CUBE advocate and king of high compression----Craig "WETTE VETTE" Camodjewitz!

And in this corner we have;-----a man with a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering , mastermind of supercharged engines , is so ugly that he could make a freight train jump track and take a dirt road , is willing to help others with good advice , chews tobacco like dog with peanut butter in his mouth , and advocate of the hydraulic roller cam-----Robert "blown1500" Horne!

Hey---just funnin' with you guys a little. Sincerely, I appreciate both your views---I think I am leaning towards blown1500's recommendations.

Here---I'll pick on myself a little now. Last week I went to weigh myself on the scale and a little ticket came out and it said "ONE AT A TIME"
Old 01-13-2003, 06:40 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wette vette,

Blowers are really not much more expensive when your going for this level. Big cubic inch requires a lot of parts, machining and assembly. I could see it being substainsally cheaper if you did the work yourself, but not if you had a shop doing most of the work. The screw type supercharger will make more torque down low and throughout the rpm range than the na motor, if your building a 632, a Whippled 540 will make more torque and would have a huge ear to ear grin factor, because the throttle response will be far better than the na engine. Look at torque curves of na engines vs. screw type, no comparison, theres torque everywhere.

Thanks,
Dustin
Old 01-14-2003, 05:35 PM
blown1500

If killer is what you want from idle up, I agree with Whipple!!
The only reason I would want ahything else is if the outdrive can't take it or if I could TURBOCHARGE!!
YOU CAN'T OUTRUN A TURBOCHARER!! Whipples are the next best thing and co$t a lot le$$!!!