Notices

Bilge Paint

Old 12-23-2002, 03:36 AM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You guys applying epoxies and toxic paints MUST us the proper cartridge with your "Negative Pressure Filter Respirators".
You can do more harm than good by using the wrong cartridge.
Please, do not take this lightly. Do your homework!
A friend of mine is paying the price, right now.
Old 12-23-2002, 06:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used sherwin-willams epoxy,it is self leveling shows no brush marks,cleans up great even oil.I think it was 65.00 for a gallon of two parts.mine has been on for three yrs. and still looks good.
I suggest using a fresh air respirator if you can borrow one,they are expensive to buy for 1 job.
Old 12-23-2002, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts

I had my engine pit done with a white 2-part expoxy.
Old 12-23-2002, 09:14 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did mine this summer with epoxy from the local Lowe's, about $15.00 a quart. Priced the bilge paint from boat supply store, and got scared. The epoxy was designed for sinks, bath tubs, ect. brushed it on with a sponge brush. Pleased with the results so far, but it's only been 6 months, and you can only see a little of the bilge with the engines reinstalled, anyway.

I did not know about epoxy requiring a breathing mask, and did get a little dizzy at times down in the hole painting it. So what are the symptoms I should look for? Swollen belly and loss of hair? Cause those things are happening to me! In all seriousness, what can happen, and is it more likely to happen when sprayed than when brushed?
Old 12-23-2002, 10:16 AM
Registered

Originally posted by buck183
Hyper,

We don't say that word around me, I'm an Arma Coatings dealer. I can spray circles around that crap.

Buck
Say what? Who me??
Old 12-23-2002, 11:48 AM
ursus

scrubbed with hot water and detergent, scuffed with brite pad and painted (brush) with grey bilgekoat, standing up well looks fine, cleans up good, prob not as durable as epoxy but simple

Old 12-23-2002, 01:17 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Thumbs up

I'll jump right in here!!

After stripping of motor & hardware, cleaning thuroughly with a strong detergent (think Murphys oil soap if I remember), lightly sanding with 400 grit, then wiping completely with mineral spirits (might of been pain thinner), I coated with Rust-Olium sun burst yellow. It came out fantastic !!
The surface has a bright shine, is nice and hard finish, cleans up great!!
I got the idea from a buddy who had used the same thing!

Last edited by TomR; 12-26-2002 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12-23-2002, 01:27 PM
powerboat

Thanks for the great ideas. I think I like the idea of the two part epoxy from sherwin williams. Is that available at their automotive paint stores.

Old 12-23-2002, 02:36 PM
mjuwalters

I agree with audiofn. I used awlgrip, worked great. You must use a mask. I did the first coat without one and I felt sick for one and half days. I'm sure it took 5yrs off my life. But I'm much betbet better now. Besafe goodluck
Michael

Old 12-23-2002, 07:01 PM
Registered

I like the rustolium recommedation. Anyone else try this? I prefer the KISS principle when practical.

BT

Quick Reply: Bilge Paint

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.