Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
A question for the PROP SHOP PEOPLE... >

A question for the PROP SHOP PEOPLE...

Notices

A question for the PROP SHOP PEOPLE...

Old 12-24-2002, 11:29 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts
Question A question for the PROP SHOP PEOPLE...

I have read that the Bravo One 4-bladed props are more of a stern lifting prop. If this is true, is there anyway to reverse this so that I can get more bow lift? I have a 32' A/T with Stellings extension boxes.

Help!

Thanks,
Mark/KAAMA
Old 12-24-2002, 11:55 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 267 Likes on 148 Posts

mark,
whats your prop rotation?
turning the prop's "in"
will sometimes give added bow lift,
but it WILL result in poor
handling issues around the dock.
i alway thought the bravo 1 was
suppose to be a bow lifter?
cleaver, or pointed ear (intimidator style)
were stern lifters?
i have experienced, from going to 3 blades
to four blades of both types, the feeling of
more stern lift, or inabilty to carry the bow,
but saw photo's of the boat running later,
it was still carrying the nose, but the whole
boat appeared to be running higher, and faster
my .02
jt
Old 12-24-2002, 12:36 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Sure,, get 3 blade labbed Mirage Plusses !!!!! ( sorry :-) )
Old 12-24-2002, 01:09 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

As far as manufacturers go, I thought the highest pitch that a Mirage Plus 3-bladed prop makes is a 29"------am I correct???
Old 12-24-2002, 01:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kaama,
On my particular boat, which is single engine, I did notice a considerable amount of stern lift with a Bravo as compared to a Mirage or Mirage Plus. I did like some characteristics of the 4-blade but I stayed with the Mirage Plus.
Old 12-24-2002, 01:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whiteknuckle:

What were the pro's & cons (on your boat) with the four blade ? What size did you try ?
Old 12-24-2002, 03:14 PM
Ric232

Default Re: A question for the PROP SHOP PEOPLE...

Originally posted by KAAMA
I have read that the Bravo One 4-bladed props are more of a stern lifting prop. If this is true, is there anyway to reverse this so that I can get more bow lift? I have a 32' A/T with Stellings extension boxes.

Help!

Thanks,
Mark/KAAMA
Mark, compared to a Mirage Plus, the Bravo 1 is a little bit of a "stern-lifter." But compared to most other 4-blades out there, i.e. Hydromotive, the Bravo 1 carries the bow quite well. If you don't have hull steps and your x-dimension is fairly conservative, you could run 3-blade Mirage Plus's, but you'll probably want to go back to 4-blades. They tend to spoil you, even if you do lose a little speed. Oh, and yes, Mirage Plus's max out at 29P.

Old 12-24-2002, 03:15 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,938 Likes on 976 Posts

Kamma, I talked to Darin at Houston Prop about doing the same things to my prop just a couple days ago. Basically, he said that thinning the trailing edge will reduce stern lift and adding some "rake" and cupping in the right places will increase bow lift.

I think that Bravo 1's are about the least stern lifting/most bow lifting 4 blades you can get. I did see a prop similar to the B1 on Hydromotive's website--QuadIV-X that says it give added bow lift for conventional V bottom boats.
Old 12-24-2002, 03:32 PM
Registered

RumRunner,
The comparison I made was between a 25" Mirage Plus and a 26" labbed Bravo. I liked the way the Bravo came on plane, cruising at 3000RPM was actually a little faster than the Mirage and the Bravo seemed to bite better in a turn. However at High speeds with the Bravo I did get noticable stern lift, and the boat felt uncomfortable from what I was used to. I did not like the feeling. Joe at the Sunsation Factory, always recommends the Mirage for the Rocket/Aggressor.
Old 12-24-2002, 04:58 PM
Registered

RumRunner,
I had the same thing happen on my boat as Whitenuckle did. Only I had 23 Mirage + and a 24P Bravo. The mirage was slower out of the hole, but felt very stable and was faster, about 2mi.
The Bravo made the boat fell like is was skidding on ice, out of control. Now I have a whipple and am running 28 & 30 lab Bravo's, but if I could use a 3 blade I think it would go faster. It doesn't feel loose anymore though, with the bigger prop. I am actually faster with 1/2 - 3/4 full of fuel. My only guess is that
it distributes the weight to the back and I get more bow lift.

KAMMA, It looks like we need to talk to HOUSTONPROP or throttleup. Maybe they can give us some ideas!

Last edited by 28Eliminator; 12-25-2002 at 12:56 AM.

Quick Reply: A question for the PROP SHOP PEOPLE...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.