Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
To Boost Reference or not to Boost Reference? >

To Boost Reference or not to Boost Reference?

Notices

To Boost Reference or not to Boost Reference?

Old 12-26-2002, 10:40 PM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default To Boost Reference or not to Boost Reference?

I am hearing reports from various members and shops as to the pros and cons of Boost Referencing my Nickerson 1050 Dominator.

Nickerson says send it back as they have an upgrade for my carb. They say Boost Referencing is "old technology". What is Nickerson doing that eliminates the need to boost reference?

Others say that after their carb was boost referenced, it ran like it was fuel injected.
I am looking for low speed and idling performance.
Any suggestions?
Old 12-27-2002, 08:18 AM
blown1500

Hi RLW,
I have tried Nickerson and almost every other carb known. They have never worked to my satisfaction without boost referenced power valves. The problem is, the signal from the plenum under the carb sees blower vacuum signal, the engine, the important part, sees a different signal and IT gives the signal you want to control your fuel mixture!!!
Usually, a carb must be set up rich in many situations so it cannot go lean and destroy parts. This causes too rich a mixture at some throtle/load situations. The referenced power valve solves this problem. The same reason you need a power vavle to start with is the same one it needs accurate feedback from the ENGINE.

Old 12-27-2002, 08:42 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am no expert but I agree with blown1500. A good basic explanation as to what is going on below the carburator. I do run a 1071 blower with 2 850 carbs that are referanced. I like to tinker on my stuff and set the carbs up myself. Idles all day and will not load up.
Old 12-27-2002, 11:19 AM
bobby daniels

IT NEEDS TO BE BOOST REFERENCED ,PERIOD
IF NOT YOU HAVE MAKE IT SO RICH IT WON'T LEAN OUT AT PART THROTTLE ,ON TOP OF THE BLOWER THE CARB ALWAYS SEE'S A VACUM RIGHT ?? EVEN IF MAKEING BOOST ,BAD DEAL

Old 12-27-2002, 01:15 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I bought my 750 Holley carbs from Teague and told them I was putting them on 454's W/ Whipples. I told them I wanted them boost referenced and was advised that I didn't need to boost reference but they did a blower upgrade for $85.00. They put on larger primary pumps and installed 10.5 power valves, 80 primary jets and 90 secondary. The motors smoked black and fouled the plugs after ten minutes idle time. I ended up switching to 6.5 power valves 74 primary and 90 secondary jets. Is boost referencing different than changing power valves and jets? If I run the exhaust thru the props at idle it still wants to foul the plugs. Other than that it runs great.

Roger
Old 12-27-2002, 01:52 PM
Registered

Quiet Storm,

I have Whipples with 850 Holley carbs setup by Gary at GT Performance and they work like a dream. Out of the box there was no loading up and the engines responded and revved clean from idle to the rev limiter. I increased the jets one size for safety as the plugs looked a little too perfect.

Ian T.
Old 12-27-2002, 02:19 PM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The consensus seems to be that Boost Referencing is the most accepted way to address low speed operation for Roots style blower packages.

According to Nickerson my single 1050 is equipped with:
4.5 Power Valves front and rear.
#96 Main Jets all 4 corners.
CFM has been increased to 1170.

How will a qualified Carb Shop know what to do if I ask them to Boost Reference the carb?
Will it be "Flowed"? Is this correct terminology?
What questions would I expect to hear from them?
Are there internal modifications that were done by Nickerson that have to be reversed or addressed?
I just don't want to say, "Here is my carb, Boost Reference it for me."
Thanks for the replies and still looking for direction.
Old 12-27-2002, 04:21 PM
bobby daniels

JUST TELL THEM TO REF. THE VALVES IT WON'T AFFECT ANYTHING .
THEY CAN FLOW IT NO PROBLEM IF YOU WANT I CAN INDEX ONE FOR 20 BUCKS AND RETURN IT THE SAME DAY IF NEEDED
IF YOU WANT IT FLOWED I CAN DO THAT ,,,JUST PM. ME
THANKS ,JUST GET SOMEONE TO DO IT PLEASE

Old 12-27-2002, 04:24 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

CayFomula,
I've heard so many people say the same thing that you did. I took them out of the box with no problems at all. I wish I could of said that. I went through four sets of plugs before it settled down. I will change them again in the spring.

Maybe I should pull the carbs and send them in for boost referencing anyway. I'm just a little afraid to touch them because I don't want to start the process all over again.

How's the weather there?

Roger
Old 12-27-2002, 04:39 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Quiet Storm
Is boost referencing different than changing power valves and jets? If I run the exhaust thru the props at idle it still wants to foul the plugs. Other than that it runs great.

Roger
Yes boost referencing requires plugging the port for the power valve signal at the base of the carburator and running an external line to the intake manifold. Instead of getting reference (vacuum) from under the carb it will get a signal from the manifold. Under part throttle operation it is very likely you will see a vacuum under the carb and boost in the manifold. This causes a lean condition and TROUBLE. Power valves would be closed when they need to be open.

Quick Reply: To Boost Reference or not to Boost Reference?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.