4 blade stern lift....why? >

4 blade stern lift....why?

Notices

4 blade stern lift....why?

Old 12-27-2002, 09:01 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like I said Griff, one of those props provided a LOT of bow lift. Pictures can take the place of a thousand words. Anyone who thinks you cannot get bow lift from a 4 blade need only look at the pic above. That pic is with the Bravo One prop at about 5000 rpm or so.
Old 12-28-2002, 10:32 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran Intimadator 3 blade cleaver style on my Liberator for
stern lift.....I run bravo 4 blades on the Cig for BOW lift.....
Have i been backwards all these years ?
I thiught that was the reason to run Bravos ?
I know the Intimadators really lifted the stern !!!!
without them it ran like Fouls picture.........
Old 12-28-2002, 12:16 PM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

Bow lift will come with more rake in the prop. Two 4 blade props can be totally different, like the difference between a Bravo and a Hydromotive. If you set them on the ground, you will see the Bravo will be much taller. Thats because the blades are raked back further which moves some dynamics further aft giving more leverage.

That's the logic I've been using ..... $.02

G
Old 12-29-2002, 09:55 AM
Registered

Default 4 blade stern lift

My experiences with different props agree with Cigarette 1. The number of blades isn't the biggest factor in bow lift but rather the rake of the blades. Here's the props I have tried. I have twin Bravo drives.

1.MACH Sterndriver 28 pitch: Virtually no rake. Worked OK. 14½ diameter not best for my boat. Little trim available. I used for three seasons. When I bought these from Teague 7-8 yrs ago, the Bravo One wasn't out yet and neither was the Hydromotive Quad 4.

2.Hydromotive Quad4 26 pitch: Virtually no rake. All around pretty good but not much lift when trimming up. I used for two weeks. I think the Quad4X has much more rake and I may try a set of these this summer.

3.Bravo One 28 pitch: Plenty of rake. This is my current prop and I have added cup and had factory Merc lab finished. Planes well and is best so far for my application. I have 250 hrs on these props. Much more lift when compared to the other two props.

I experimented with prop rotation on all three sets of props. The around the dock handling changed most and the amount of available lift changed a little. I rotate outward now.