Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Info on Whipple Supercharger Systems >

Info on Whipple Supercharger Systems

Notices

Info on Whipple Supercharger Systems

Old 12-27-2002, 02:51 PM
Powerquest22

Question Info on Whipple Supercharger Systems

I am looking for anyone who has had experience with the whipple superchargers. I am looking into the 7.4 MPI kit and if anyone has and hands on experience with it just let me know what you thought of the setup. I have a 2000 Powerquest Raizor 22 with a stock setup.

I am not sure what to think of their claim of 491 hp out of a stock 310 hp engine with no massive failures int he bottom end.

Any comments are a big help.
Attached Thumbnails Info on Whipple Supercharger Systems-beachboat.jpg  

Old 12-27-2002, 06:30 PM
blown1500

Ambusher is right!
The max horsepower from Whipples, Vortechs and ProChargers are close to the same. The big bang from a Whipple is it makes boost INSTANTLY even at low rpm. This means you will be out of sight before the other guys get going. Follow directions from Whipple EXACTLY, don't go for more without proper changes, and you should be one happy boater

Old 12-27-2002, 10:28 PM
Blackhawkdn

Before you add any blower system check your bottom end carefully. A bottom end with bad bearing will give you a junk pile in short order.

Old 12-27-2002, 10:49 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Powerquest22,

Honestly, the bottom end is really not a problem, the 5lbs. of boost is nowhere near the amount of force from the piston cylinder deflection when it fires. I never see rod failure, typically bearing failure is only from low oil pressure, dirty oil and dilluted oil, but I've made 675 hp on those stock rods and crank. The hardest thing is rpm, keep it below 5450 for rpm control and should be propped for max 5200. The stock cast piston will come apart far before the crank will fall out if RPM's are kept in check. If nothing else, take the stock heads off, radius the extreme "hot spot" in the combustion chamber and change the pistons. Either way, I recommend that something change before supercharging.

The bad news is that the pistons and head suck big time!! I honestly won't sale the system without you changing the heads, it's just too dangerous. I would not put any supercharger on without changing the heads, aluminum is best but you should be able to find the GM high performance cast iron heads from others who have upgraded to other heads. Pistons wouldn't be a bad choice either, because the factory pistons are cast. Problem then is that the ECU needs to be customizied. I see your in Michigan, so I would recommend going to Tyler Crockett who I can work with on the cal. The good news is that the supercharger will be the same as the 500 HP EFI minus the blue paint and SC pulley, so it can stay with you later. Sorry to give you the bad news, but it's better to be safe than sorry. If you got any questions, just post them or email me.

Thanks,
Dustin
Old 12-28-2002, 09:47 AM
Powerquest22

Hey all, thanks for the good word. This is the first time I have ever posted a thread and I am surprised by the number of good responses. Keep them coming and thanks for all your time to help me out.