Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Stupid human trick. Sold trailer, boat is on it.. >

Stupid human trick. Sold trailer, boat is on it..

Notices

Old 12-28-2002, 06:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

K, I probably deserve the dumb chit award for 2002. I listed my trailer thinking it would take a while to sell beings it's FREAKIN WINTER OUT, and hardly the season to sell such things. 2 Days after I list it I get the call that he needs it ASAP. I'm thinkin ALRIGHT! But no, not alright. No repacement ordered yet so this looks like work rather then a piece of cake..

So, any pointers from any of ya who have lifted and blocked a 4000# boat off a trailer? I know I'll want to support the transom and build some home built bunks out of 4X4's to rest it on since it'll be a couple months before I am able to get my new wheels. However how many bottle or floor jacks would be advisable and where should the lifting points be, etc. etc... ? In other words, any tricks of the trade?
Old 12-28-2002, 08:03 AM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

get the $$$ first,i had a guy buy my boat,gave me a grand,took it allapart and he never came back!!!! ok the $ was cool but i lost some valuble boat time waiting for the guy to come and pick it up and bring the rest of the loot when the guy shows up go put it in the water,get rid of trailer,then get a boat transporter to bring the boat home and blockit up. around here a 25 fotter is about 150.00 to do that good luck tripps
Old 12-28-2002, 08:07 AM
Six Leg Dog

Does the trailer have rollers or bunks with carpet? If you don't have rollers it will be dangerous,lots of trailer winch injurys so be carefull!

Old 12-28-2002, 08:35 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its just time consuming. You will need two jack stands for the transom. Try and get them right on the corners. Then two more jacks of some kind (I used auto type floor jacks with 12x12 wood blocks) and pick up the front of the boat at the keel with one of them, pull the trailer ahead until the first cross member comes up to the jack, then use the second jack just behind the first cross member and remove the first jack and so on and so on.
Old 12-28-2002, 09:26 AM
Registered

Here is an idea...why take your boat to a marina/dealer/storage and have them store it for ya for a couple of months? This will give ya time to find another trailer. May cost a little extra but peice of mind. Just a thought.
Old 12-28-2002, 09:43 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

We used to dragrace outboards. There was a guy who had a big Class8 wrecker and a pair of straps on a spreader bar. He would come to the races and pick the boats up off the trailers to weigh them before the races (and after for the winners too).

I know several guys would occasionally use this guy for loading and unloading like you need. He only charged $50 or so to come to your house and unload you.

Check around and see if there are any boat dragracing organizations or draracers local to you and find out who to call to hunt down one of these guys with a similar setup.

M
Old 12-28-2002, 12:51 PM
Registered

We blocked a 20 foot outboard boat using blocks, a backhoe, straps and a roller trailer. make sure the ground is flat, and you take your time. At the end of the day, i think Tripps had the best idea, have someone reputable trailer it and block it for you. $150 or so, isnt much for the peace of mind. my 31' cabin cruiser is 250 to trailer and block at the end of the season. Good luck.