HELP!!!!! No Sea Water >

HELP!!!!! No Sea Water

Notices

HELP!!!!! No Sea Water

Old 12-28-2002, 05:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!!!! No Sea Water

Just finished a ProCharger install on my 02’ Sunsation w/496HO. I went to fire it up on the hose to check everything out and I had no water flowing through the exhaust or intercooler. I shut it down and connected the hose to the fresh water flush. I then had water through the exhaust and through the intercooler. I put the hose back on the drive and again, no water so I shut it down.

I disconnected the drain plug on the intake side and output side of the sea water pump and I am getting no water flow with the hose on and engine off nor am I getting water flow with the hose on and engine running.

I was thinking that the sea water pump impellar is bad but I have had no problems with it and it worked fine when I winterized about 1 ˝ months ago. It just seems odd that it would just all of a sudden be so bad that it doesn’t flow anything.

I also thought that maybe there is a blockage in the drive but again, everything was fine when I winterized.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Old 12-28-2002, 05:28 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

perhaps you ran it dry for a few seconds and killed it.
Old 12-28-2002, 06:46 PM
Registered

Do you have a low water pickup? Some times they cause trouble running on a hose, don't ask me why but I have seen it happen on a friends boat. Worked one time then it didn't then it did? Don't figure. We checked everything and foud nothing wrong? Just a thought.
I did loose an impeller once while running on the hose. Had it running no problem and shut it off and when I restarted it I had VERY little water. Impeller just chose that moment to finally wear enough to cause a problem. It was old but I did not think it was THAT OLD. Not much help but some things to check for.
Old 12-28-2002, 08:04 PM
Registered

I do have a low water pick up but I put a piece of duct tape over it when running it on the hose and just use the side pickups. It did run for aprox 2 mins without any water flowing before I shut it down.
Old 12-28-2002, 08:52 PM
Registered

I have not had trouble with side pick ups and it sounds like you have both. I would check / replace raw water pump impeller. Besure and check the housing if it is plastic or what ever they are made of. I usually have to replace both housing and impeller.

If the boat has been sitting and if it ran totally dry no water a stock impeller will cook VERY quicly. Some on the board have tried the blue or green(?) impeller and say they last better than stock.
Old 12-28-2002, 09:36 PM
Registered

OH, the impeller is done. You cant run it for 5 seconds without water. 2 minutes will kill it for sure
Old 12-29-2002, 08:15 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Although this may not be your problem but I had a simular situation. I have bravo's and the year before last after days of trouble shooting, the water inlet on the gimbal housing was the culprit. The housing where the rubber hose goes through was corroded causing the plastic retainer to collapse restricting water flow. Not an easy fix, engine needs to be removed unless your really good! I would strongly suggest anyone with bravo's 10 years or older running in salt water to check this before it destoys a weekend/engine.
Old 12-29-2002, 08:31 AM
Registered

thanks for the tip there CIG, and Carloss if it is your impeller make sure you find all the pieces are they might cause problems down the road
Old 12-29-2002, 08:44 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

If all the pieces are'nt in the pump, most definetly back flush the system. I had that problem once. Thought everything was out until I started removing hoses prying small pieces out of the fittings.
Old 12-30-2002, 08:25 AM
Registered

I pulled it apart yesterday and the impeller was missing two fins. Of course I couldn't find a replacement yesterday so I'll have to order one.

I disconnected the hose that goes to the inlet side of the pump and back flushed through the drive just for assurance that there was no blockage in the drive or through the transom. My question is if the impellers burn up so quick, what will keep it from happening again?

When I winterized I used the little air pump that comes with the 496's to push all of the raw water out of the system. Is it possible that the sea water pump would need to be primed? If so, how? I am just wondering if the first one burnt up because the pump wasn't getting any water because it wasn't primed and I don't want to make the same mistake.

Opinions?????

Quick Reply: HELP!!!!! No Sea Water

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.