Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Gimble Housing >

Gimble Housing

Notices

Gimble Housing

Old 12-29-2002, 02:57 PM
KENNY

Default Gimble Housing

I HAVE A BRAVO 1 SET UP WHEN I PULLED THE BOAT OUT I NOTICED THE HINGE PINS HAD BACKED OUT,SO I PULLED THE WHOLE ASSY. OFF THE BOAT TO BRING HOME AND REBUILD IT. I WANTED TO PUT INSERTS IN SINCE THE THREADS LOOKED SCREWED UP. WHEN I STARTED TO LOOK CLOSER I FOUND A HOLE BEHIND THE MERCURY DECAL ON TOP OF THE HOUSING WERE THE GREASE FITTING IS. ALSO THERE IS ABOUT 1/2 INCH OF UP AND DOWN PLAY IN THE GIMBLE RING I DONT THINK IT SHOULD BE THERE BUT IM NOT SURE HAS ANYBODY SEEN THIS BEFORE OR IS IT TIME TO DEEP SIX THIS ONE AND LOOK FOR A GOOD USED ONE.

Old 12-29-2002, 04:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have that much up & down play, then it's a good possibility the steering arm is loose as that is what you use to set the vertical play. Something is definitely worn excessively if you have that much play. Prior to vertical adjustment when assembling, I don't think there is that much (1/2") to start with. If someone assembled the upper part and didn't install all the parts correctly, that may have caused excess wear.
The hinge pins should have lock-tite on the threads at assembly. I would look at everything very closely for wear, including inside of the housing at the top, where the steering arm is, for wear.
Old 12-29-2002, 04:12 PM
Charter Member #71
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive got a good used transom assy for sale if you wind up needing one. Want to sell complete.... trans housing, bell, gimble ring, steering rams. Keep it in mind

Dan
Old 12-29-2002, 05:55 PM
KENNY

DAN IF YOU CAN SEND SOME PIC. AND GIVE ME A PRICE I HAVE A FEELING I WILL BE LOOKING FOR ONE.WHAT DO YOU MEAN STEERING RAMS?

Old 12-29-2002, 06:22 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kenny,
I am in the process of doing the same thing. Engines are out, transom is stripped. If your going to do the project yourself, let me know. I'm on the north shore and your more than welcomed to stop by. Theres an easy way to tighten the steering and a correct way. Now is the time to do it.
Old 12-30-2002, 05:57 PM
Charter Member #71
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry..I meant trim rams..if your interested send me your email addy and Ill send info and pic

Dan