Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Cam upgrade? >

Cam upgrade?

Notices

Cam upgrade?

Old 01-05-2003, 11:08 AM
blown1500

Hello, Guys!
Most all hydraulic roller lifters are made by the same company so there is no real difference in any brand.
Solid rollers are made by a few different manufacturers-Isky and Crower being the ONLY ones we use. No other brand we have tried will live like these-no matter whether they have bearing oiler provisions or anything else. Of course, you can break anything, and ANY valve float will destroy ANY lifter quickly!!!
Too much spring pressure shortens valve train life also. Be wary and always set up the valve train as recommended by the manufacturer!!

Old 01-05-2003, 06:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey blown1500 what about the hour change just pulled mine out no visable wear the only weird thing is where my fuel pump push rod hit the cam it is munched can that be repaired
Old 01-06-2003, 08:28 AM
blown1500

Hi Carreraboat!
I usually just check the rollers for proper, smooth, no-slop roller operation. If they feel good, use them! The fuel pump pushrod problem is not too common, but you probably used a stock type fuel pump pushrod on a steel roller cam. This is repairable, but not practical as you have to pull the cam and send it back to the factory to be welded and reground. I usually install a good electric pump or use a Mercruiser raw water pump for the Mark V
block. It has a fuel pump provision on it.
To avoid the problem in the future, special fuel pump pushrods are available with bronze tips for this application. They are available from most speed shops or mail order-like Summit or Jegs.
Good luck and if you need further info or I can help in any way, pm

Old 01-06-2003, 08:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the info you have been very helpful
bo
Old 01-07-2003, 08:47 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the same problem on one motor, the pushrod was damaged but the cam was ok. Will replace with electric fuel pumps to be on the safe side.

/Torbjorn