Bravo one gimbal housing bushing >

Bravo one gimbal housing bushing

Notices

Bravo one gimbal housing bushing

Old 01-11-2003, 08:38 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 167 Likes on 95 Posts

The bushings are self lubricating. They normally don't wear very much. If you do have to remove it the grease idea is a good one, but as the cross section of the bushing is pretty small it might be hard to develop enough pressure to get it to move. The actual tool that is used is called a blind hole puller. It goes in from the bottom, and is then expanded behind the bushing. We got ours from an OTC distributor.
Old 01-11-2003, 08:57 AM
cheitman

Thanks for the tip. I'll try it this afternoon after I find all of my tools again!!!!!!!

Old 01-11-2003, 10:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure the pin you use is a tight clearance fit, not a press fit. If that doesn't work, try seeing if autozone has a pilot bearing puller they will rent for free (autozone.com). If all that fails there is always the last resort of doing it the right way like Mbam says

BT
Old 01-11-2003, 10:28 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

now what fun would that be? LOL
Old 01-11-2003, 11:29 AM
Registered

Check this site out. It even includes templates for locating the drilling location and pictures to help you out. http://www.mercstuff.com/gimbalring.htm

Also check out this link. http://www.mercstuff.com/gimbalkit.htm. They can clean up your gimble housing. I’m going to have this done this winter, but can’t endorse the shop yet as I have not even started on the repairs.
Old 01-11-2003, 12:26 PM
Registered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cheitman
[B]Has anyone tried to tap threads in the bushing, install a stud and use a nut to pull the son of a ***** out.

Ceitman, yes I have used the tap method. Works like champ! I used a 3/8 pipe tap. Threaded the bushing and made a puller from a 3/8 pipe nipple. I have replaced several using this method. Hope this helps.
Old 01-11-2003, 12:41 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I seen the kit that WILDTHING TAZ has at the Chicago boat show. Really nice. Taking it 1 step further, by placing the rear decal on his cover plate, any repair would be virtually unnoticable. Unlike the plastic side plugs.
Old 01-11-2003, 10:32 PM
cheitman

Maxx, I tapped it and made a puller using a short nipple, coupler, 5/8" fine thread stud and nut. It took less than 5min to pull out and that included tapping the hole! Anyone else having problems........I really suggest using this method. I also talked to Ron Bender about his stainless swivel shaft. I really appreciate everyone's comments.

Old 01-11-2003, 11:41 PM
Registered

Good deal! There is always more than one way to skin a cat.
Old 01-13-2003, 09:46 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just talked to Ron Bender about the swivel shaft. It is stainless and the price is $132.00 + shipping. He is not setup yet (will be later this week) to do credit cards yet. Not to bad a price for something you will never have to replace again. Nice guy too. I enjoyed the conversation.... he is also going to offereing bushing kits, but they are not ready yet. Sounds like resonable mark-ups too.

Quick Reply: Bravo one gimbal housing bushing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.