Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Bravo one gimbal housing bushing >

Bravo one gimbal housing bushing

Notices

Bravo one gimbal housing bushing

Old 01-09-2003, 04:20 PM
cheitman

Default Bravo one gimbal housing bushing

While my motor is out I am in the process of replacing the pins and bushings in my gimbal ring and housing. I have everything out except for the very top bushing in the housing behind the Mercruiser sticker. It seems impossible to remove this w/o some certain mercruiser tool. Any suggestions?????????????

Old 01-09-2003, 05:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do a search on tiller arm, or tiller arm seal in Q&A. I've read posts with the process described.

Good luck, sounds like you are in deeeeep.

BT
Old 01-09-2003, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a dimple on the right side top of the drive. the dimple is a locater for drilling a large hole for a socket to reach the tiller nut. This is described @ mercruiserparts.com I believe. If not do a search with Google.com to find it. You may also look at boatsUS for their maintenance section of "tips" . the hole must be plugged after replacement.

My question is: How did MERC EVER GET IT ON THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE!! A clymers Bravo manual is also good.

Have fun!! I am going to fix mine also on the Sonic (I hope!).
Old 01-10-2003, 09:45 AM
Registered

If I read the original question correctly, you are interested in how to get the upper bushing out. Heres how I did it. I stuck a solid shaft in the upper bushing the same size as the hole and clamped it so I couldnt move and then I used my grease gun and pumped it to death and the grease pressure pushed the bushing out. Leave a little room on the top of the shaft so the shaft doesnt block off the grease hole. Im sure there is a tool to do this too, but the grease trick worked for me.
Old 01-10-2003, 02:27 PM
cheitman

Hmmmm.good idea. Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Old 01-10-2003, 04:16 PM
RHC
Registered

Thumbs up

Regards Bravo Gimble R&R

Call Ron Bender at J&R Marine in Cleveland ,,,, 216-390-1330 He has a complete rebuild process for the trans plate and Gimble Housings and Rings,,, neat stuff and 1/2 the price ... All C&C stainless chit ,,,, works good, I just did my Apache,
RC
Old 01-10-2003, 04:32 PM
B-MAX REPAIR
Platinum Member

CHEITMAN WE HAVE FIGURED THIS ONE OUT! I MADE A KIT WE CALL SWIVEL SHAFT COVER PLATE.ALSO WE MAKE A SWIVEL SHAFT THAT IS MADE OF 17-4 STAINLESS. CORROSION RESISTANT EQUAL TO 304 STAINLESS.OUR WEB SIGHT IS NOT FINISHED YET. SO IF YOU WANT I CAN MAIL SOMETHING TO YOU IF YOU WANT. GIVE ME A CALL 216-390-1330 RON BENDER
Old 01-11-2003, 12:43 AM
cheitman

Formula 31's grease gun idea won't work on my drive, it does'nt have the zerk on top. This upper bushing is a real *****! After I spend a couple hours picking up all the tools I threw across the shop I will try my last resort of ideas. Has anyone tried to tap threads in the bushing, install a stud and use a nut to pull the son of a ***** out. How about splitting it in two with a small chisel and prying the 2 pieces out. I tried to grind and bend a punch to pry the entire piece out but there is not enough of a lip to grab on. I really don't want to cut the housing up.

Old 01-11-2003, 05:48 AM
Registered

I haven't tried this on your particular bushing, but the way you get a blind hole bushing out is as follows. Pack the ID solid with grease or soap. Using a shaft or pin that fits very snugly into the bushing, start the pin into the bushing. Once started, use a hammer and drive the pin to the bottom of the bushing. The grease will get behind the bushing and using hydraulic force, push the bushing out slick as ****.

Hope this helps,

BT
Old 01-11-2003, 08:06 AM
Registered

Thanks BT, thats the way to do it if it doenst have a zerk. When and why did Merc stop putting a grease zerk there?

Quick Reply: Bravo one gimbal housing bushing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.