Carb fuel bowl siphoning >

Carb fuel bowl siphoning

Notices

Carb fuel bowl siphoning

Old 01-12-2003, 01:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb fuel bowl siphoning

Has anyone tried an inline electric fuel pump to push fuel up to the fuel bowl on the carb for faster startup? Trying to save cranking time. Im talking the 502 carb version. If so what did you use and where can i get some?
Old 01-12-2003, 02:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

Sure.
Carter pump.

Under normal circumstances, though, your motors should fill the bowls within 10 seconds of cranking. Crank one ten seconds. Crank the other ten seconds. Pump throttle on first one four times - crank six seconds. Repeat for other motor. If one or both dont fire, repeat.

with an e-pump, start pump - run it five or ten seconds - pump throttle four times - crank for six seconds - repeat pump and crank procedure...
Old 01-12-2003, 03:55 PM
Dennis Moore

Default Electric fuel pump

What I have found is that the fuel is usually evaporating from a hot carb after the engine is shut off. Blocking off the exhaust heat crossover passage and adding an insulator between the manifold and carb will help keep the carb cooler. Mercruiser recommends letting the engine cool off by idling it for a period of time before turning it off. Running the bilge blowers is also helpful.
Adding an electric fuel pump almost always requires adding a fuel pressure regulator or the additional fuel pressure will overwhelm the needle and seats at an idle creating a rough idle condition (the venturi boosters will drip raw fuel at an idle).
If you do add an electric fuel pump make sure it is the kind that circulates the fuel through the armature to keep it cool. A racing fuel pump with an air cooled motor will not last very long (maybe only a season or two).

Old 01-13-2003, 10:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Electric fuel pump

Originally posted by Dennis Moore
What I have found is that the fuel is usually evaporating from a hot carb after the engine is shut off. Blocking off the exhaust heat crossover passage and adding an insulator between the manifold and carb will help keep the carb cooler. Mercruiser recommends letting the engine cool off by idling it for a period of time before turning it off. Running the bilge blowers is also helpful.
Adding an electric fuel pump almost always requires adding a fuel pressure regulator or the additional fuel pressure will overwhelm the needle and seats at an idle creating a rough idle condition (the venturi boosters will drip raw fuel at an idle).
If you do add an electric fuel pump make sure it is the kind that circulates the fuel through the armature to keep it cool. A racing fuel pump with an air cooled motor will not last very long (maybe only a season or two).
Don't forget to add a low oil pressure shutoff to the pump
Old 01-13-2003, 12:28 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two things:

1) Cranking the engine over before it starts will at least get the oil to start pumping before the engine fires up to idle RPM (Yes a pre-lubber would be better)

2) Any time you install an electric pump on a marine application as either the primary or back up pump you're going to want it to go through an oil pressure switch (so that it will not run if the engine has no oil pressure)
This is something you'd want to do for both safety, and legality issues.

Doug
Old 01-14-2003, 05:34 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you decide you would like to install an electric fuel pump let me know. I have a new Mercruiser electric fuel pump still in the box I'd let go at $85 including shipping. I beleive it was $149 at the dealer.

Thanks Brian
Old 01-14-2003, 04:59 PM
blown1500

Thanks, RumRunner,
I agree and I know you are up on the subject better than I am !!