Notices

IMCO Extreme SC drive....

Old 09-21-2005, 08:26 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Re: IMCO Extreme SC drive....

Originally Posted by RBeyer
I run about 800 RPM in gear based on Cam specs. I'm not sold.
Your thoughts.
This is for all the merc guys, what do your HP 500's and 525 EFI's idle at in neutral?? What motor besides a bone stock 454 magnum idles at 800 rpms?
Old 09-21-2005, 08:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Panther
I've run the boat WFO TWICE this year. Once when I first put the motors in the boat and one other time 2 months ago.

The main reason for not running WOT is because I don't have a back-up fuel pump and I'm only running 3 lbs of fuel pressure at WOT so I don't want to chance blowing a motor just to have a little fun.

I've run the boat 99% of the time at 3400 - 3600 rpms and I've had to throttle litterally 10 times since April. I'm more about cruising and hanging out with friends, not running the boat hard. The boat never get's aired out and I've run mostly in the river and bay.
Don't you mean you run 99% of the time in the river and our river isn't that big. I couldn't think of a single boat out there that could be run easier on drives than yours. Go back to stock Merc drives, they'll last a lot longer thatn CRAPCO.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:54 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Originally Posted by mr_velocity
Don't you mean you run 99% of the time in the river and our river isn't that big. I couldn't think of a single boat out there that could be run easier on drives than yours. Go back to stock Merc drives, they'll last a lot longer thatn CRAPCO.
Mr. V, unfortunately you're right. When you can't rely on things holding together you tend to stay close to home so if something breaks it's not going to be a long ride back on one engine.

Here's what some others had to say from another site...

Quoted: "Did you buy these new? If so, I would be ALLL over those clowns for their "there's nothing we can do" bullchit. 20 hours is not even a good break in time...let along BREAKING time. I would be letting them know that if they don't make good onthis drive, you'll be all over every dam boat website you can find - trashing their product. And not that its going to make you feel any better, but I've heard what seems like ALOT of horror stories of these BAD $ $ $, BIG MONEY drives coming to pieces pretty easily. Cripes, I've heard less bad stuff about regular Bravos and TRS drives than these ones. Go get mad and get after them...you deserve better for your money than "so soory"

quoted: "I dont get it boys???? Why the hell are we even talking about his crap...these drives are HUGE MONEY!!!!!! And they are supposed to be the s$hit for big power boats!!! TRASH THE MFer's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They should be ashamed of themselves for their product and the way they handle their customers. I don't give two chits if the gears are Merc, et. etc. They put THEIR name on the things and charge the money they do...accept some frikkin responsability for crips sake! I'm tellin ya man...you need to go for the balls with this one"

Quoted: "Thats all ALOT of these big name companies seem to want to do. If people like you and others got together and just put out the information, these clowns would HAVE to change their act, because nobody would buy from them. My feeling is that if your spending ten grand plus on drives...you buy the company too. Seriously...who would spend that money, when its not going to do what its supposed to do? Not me. There was s pair of #4 Speedmasters on extension boxs, the whole shebang, for 15 grand. They looked real nice, and had just been gone through. Konrads are about the same money, and I haven't heard of ONE grenading. Anyhow man, I hope this goes well."

Old 09-21-2005, 09:17 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by RBeyer
IMCO,
I've had an interest in your drives and quite honestly not a whole lot of good feedback has come of it. I have a 260 Velocity 26' not the 24" HP is guestimated at 725 to 800 and we don't have a tourque rating. I run about 800 RPM in gear based on Cam specs. I'm not sold.
Your thoughts.
Run away from Imco as fast as you can, they do not stand behind their product even when it's an assembly problem on their part. Their standard answer is "There is nothing we can do" is probably the worst possible thing you can say to a customer. You could always do something.

We could only hope that Fred @ Trick comes out with a "Trick Bravo"
Old 09-21-2005, 10:27 AM
Registered

Has IMCO responded yet to the most recent concerns?

very interesting read.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:03 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 886 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by Panther
I've run the boat WFO TWICE this year. Once when I first put the motors in the boat and one other time 2 months ago.

The main reason for not running WOT is because I don't have a back-up fuel pump and I'm only running 3 lbs of fuel pressure at WOT so I don't want to chance blowing a motor just to have a little fun.

I've run the boat 99% of the time at 3400 - 3600 rpms and I've had to throttle litterally 10 times since April. I'm more about cruising and hanging out with friends, not running the boat hard. The boat never get's aired out and I've run mostly in the river and bay.
If what your saying is true then its clear you have drive problems due to bad assembly. I have to agree then also that stock xrs would be more reliable. My upgraded drive (max machine worx parts) has held up for 60-70 hours and I have another 200 hp/ft lbs of tq than you have. My lower gears just failed 2 weeks ago but that was after 60-70 hours behind serious power,the upper gears (that weren't even new when drive was freshened 60-70 hours ago) still look good. I'm turning a 30 pitch prop to 6000rpm's and sometimes a 32 prop ro 5800. I am ok with my drive lasting the 60/70 hours because that is a full season but if I had less power like you and they were falling apart every 20 hours I be pissed as hell too. There simply isn't any reason for your uppers to be disentegrating so fast other than bad workmanship,Smitty
Old 09-21-2005, 03:14 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Originally Posted by coin

very interesting read.
Yes, I spoke to these guys this afternoon and was met with hostility and disregard for existing customers. Don't these guys realieze that 80% of business comes from existing customers!!

When the drive was dissassembled it was determined that the nut behind the pinion gear was 3 turns to loose. They even went as far to accuse me of loosening the nut myself.

I asked them what is breaking my drives then, they stated; "Torque Spikes". I said to the guy, "well why do you rate your drives to handle X amount of power and when they break you don't stand behind your claims"... I was then given the "what part of no warrantly don't you understand" crap and it's a "high performance piece". I told him that I can get merc to replace a broken XR any day of the week.

Then they asked why I didn't send them the drive to be repaired. After all this crap, would you send them the drive??? I told them that I didn't want them to repair it and have it break again just like the last two and how I didn't trust them to fix it so I sent the drive to someone who is well known in the industry and is an IMCO dealer.

I will never do business with these guys again! I work in sales and value my customers, if I ever treated my customers like I've been treated by these yahoo's I wouldn't have "any" customers, period!!

Originally Posted by articfriends
If what your saying is true then its clear you have drive problems due to bad assembly. I have to agree then also that stock xrs would be more reliable. My upgraded drive (max machine worx parts) has held up for 60-70 hours and I have another 200 hp/ft lbs of tq than you have. My lower gears just failed 2 weeks ago but that was after 60-70 hours behind serious power,the upper gears (that weren't even new when drive was freshened 60-70 hours ago) still look good. I'm turning a 30 pitch prop to 6000rpm's and sometimes a 32 prop ro 5800. I am ok with my drive lasting the 60/70 hours because that is a full season but if I had less power like you and they were falling apart every 20 hours I be pissed as hell too. There simply isn't any reason for your uppers to be disentegrating so fast other than bad workmanship,Smitty
I'm glad that someone else feels the same way. Thanks! I'm sitting here wondering the same thing.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:18 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Oh yeah, they also accused me of wanting a brand new drive shipped to me for free!

Come on boyz, get real!! Nothing is for free, we just expect something in return.

Last edited by Panther; 09-21-2005 at 10:35 PM.
Old 09-21-2005, 04:08 PM
Registered

I had drives come to me without an inlet port for the water in the upper and the other took on water from who knows where...junk
Old 09-21-2005, 04:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by coin

very interesting read.
Yea they told him to bend over, you would think they would a least send him a bottle of drive oil to ease the pain

IMCO SUCKS. No one should ever do business with a company that treats their customers like $hit like IMCO does.

Quick Reply: IMCO Extreme SC drive....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.