Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Procharger Fuel Pump failures >

Procharger Fuel Pump failures

Notices

Procharger Fuel Pump failures

Old 01-21-2003, 09:43 PM
frankie

Pantera24, this is just my opinion but, installing filters after the pumps would do nothing more than trap the defective pump particals and stop them from reaching the fuel injectors, now I am left with a deteriorating fuel pump that doesn't supply the engine with adequit fuel pressure , eventually a clogged filter after the pump, and most likely another melted down engine. The problem is the pump. Just my .02 cents. Also I don't blame Pro charger for the pump failure, but if they are aware that there is a major problem with the pumps they supply with their kits, they should issue a recall or discontinue use of that product. It is my experience that the average boater does not do their own mechanical work and they don't understand the technical part of it. All they know is that " it ran great before I put the blower on it." I guess I'm saying it just gives Pro charger a bad rep.

Last edited by frankie; 01-21-2003 at 10:05 PM.

Old 01-22-2003, 08:52 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Frankie, sounds like you were NOT reading stuff on this board last summer when I went thru this experience and documented the entire thing on Offshoreonly (see "meltdown").
The problem is not a manufacturing defect. As stated above, the extra levels of additive alcohols is the culprit. It disolves the epoxies used in the pump. Aeromotive will rebuild or replace your pumps if still in warranty period or fix them for a minimal cost. The pumps have now been redesigned with mechanical pump fasteners rather than the epoxy. Procharger was aware of this problem last May....I told them about it. Therefore, they should have advised all new buyers of the problem & gotten the new pumps from Aeromotive. You can blame their technical dept. for that!! Call Aeromotive, they will work with you and do it quickly. I found them to be very helpful. I wouldn't be surprised if the Barry Grant or other pump may have had the same problem, Aeromotives A1000's are all redesigned now. They are still the best.
Old 01-22-2003, 07:52 PM
frankie

blown formula, you're right I wasn't on this board last summer so I didn't read about this "stuff". It just SUCKS that the consumer has to find the short commings of a product the hard way$$$$! It's OK just Break-Out-Another-Thousand ! They shouldn't charge you a nickel for an updated pump. After all the fuel pump is an engine's life line,and in the Hi-perf boating arena ( especially supercharging) if that goes under full throttle you're Dead In The Water Bye..Bye engines, instant death. But it seems to be a kick ass pump if it'll stay running, so I'll give them a call, see if they'll make it right. Thanks for the tip!

Old 01-22-2003, 09:58 PM
Banned
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown Formula

Did you see my pump style? Here it is again, I was informed that it was a boost pump, but it is the only pump in the fuel system. What pump are you running and do you run a single pump or main/boost set up?

Thank You,

Kirk
Old 01-23-2003, 04:29 PM
frankie

Kirk, that is definately NOT the Aeromotive A-1000 pump. Your pump looks similar to the stock Merc. EFI pump. Looks like an inline booster pump. Did it come with the M-1 kit? The M-3 kit comes with the red A-1000 pump which replaces the stock Merc unit, the system still uses the fuel cooler, but replaces the stock pump with an interface. Also the A-1000 pump has -10 inlet & outlet ports. Hard to tell from your photo but your fittings look like 3/8. (restrictive) . I'd use the larger red pump. Frank.

Old 01-23-2003, 09:14 PM
Banned
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Frankie,

It is the booster pump form the M-1 kit. However when the engine was rebuilt, they removed the other pump and this is the only pump in the system. It had been running fine with this pump. If I upgrade, what brand and model number is the Red Pump? Also, what fuel pressure should I see after the regulator? I'm running a MPI system on a 454 engine with the
M-1 Procharger.

Thanks to all the help form everyone, hopefully the knowledge gained here will help me avoid nasty situations by installing the new engine and fuel system correctly the first time.

Sincerely,

Kirk
Old 01-24-2003, 08:19 AM
Registered

Aeromotive A1000, mine ran 45# @ idle, boost compensation ran it up to about 60# flat out. The regulator procharger gives you must have the TOP fitting plumbed to the plenum. The bottom is a fuel dump to the intake in case of a regulator failure and connects to the air intake @ the charger inlet.
I sent you an answer to your pm......
Old 01-24-2003, 08:40 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

NAY !!

The 100-micron screen filter goes BEFORE the A1000. Keeps trash from hurting the pump innards. Apparently, an A1000 will pump gas with 99 micron sized trash just dandy.

You use a high flow 10-micron paper cartridge separator filter AFTER the A1000 to filter out the stuff that will clog injectors, needle seats, and carb jets... This filter goes AFTER the A1000 but BEFORE anything else.

Boost indexed regulator very close to fuel rail/carb OR after fuel rail/carb. Return line thru a fuel cooler and back all the way to the tank.

Old "meltdown" thread shows link to Aeromotive that addresses the filter issues in great hairy detail.
Old 01-24-2003, 08:52 AM
Registered

Correct.....I rest my case!! Good Show McCollistin.
george
Old 01-24-2003, 06:26 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Fellows, I guess Aeromotive gives a different recommendation to people in Kentucky. The tech guy who was great to talk to recommended fuel tank......high flow fuel/water seperator like the Keith Eikert model......fuel pump......aeromotive stainless steel inline filter....regulator....fuel rail.....return to tank! This is what I did in the fall. What do you think? Why does procharger recommend 35 lbs. fuel pressure at idle?
Eric

Quick Reply: Procharger Fuel Pump failures

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.