Procharger Fuel Pump failures

Notices

Procharger Fuel Pump failures

Old 01-18-2003, 05:55 PM
Banned
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Procharger Fuel Pump failures

Does anyone have info on the style/type of fuel pump furnished with the Procharger M-1 MPI kits originally?

I have been informed by a local builder that Procharger had numerous failures of their fuel pumps and this caused substantial engine failures.

I just want to make sure I'm not running one of these fuel pumps.

My fuel pump is a 8" long aluminum pump, flow through design.
Old 01-18-2003, 07:53 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm not sure if it's the same setup you are talking about, but Aeromotive had a batch of pumps out that flaked off some phenolic stuff from the inside and sent it on to the injectors, causing lean cylinders and engine failures...

Seems the cause was due to an overly restricted fuel feed line TO the pumps, which caused the pumps to cavitate and overheat.

I seem to remember that Aeromotive would open and replace the pieces that would fail with updated pieces for a buck fifty or so (i believe they would charge the same for a failed pump or a pump that had not yet failed).

The proper fuel routing would eliminate the cause of the trouble. A 100 micron screen filter BEFORE the pump is recommended. This size keeps stuff big enough to harm the pump out of it but is not too restrictive for it. THEN a high-flow waterseparator/filter after the pump BEFORE the regulator (carb) or fuel rail (injected)...

A carb motor should route the overflow fuel from the regulator back to the TANK, preferably thru a cooler first (not recirc to a tee in front of the pump).

I believe you can call Aeromotive with your pump S/N and they can tell you if it is a pre-fix or fixed pump.
Old 01-18-2003, 08:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try this link. Some good information in my opinion on how fuel system needs to be set up. It is a little long but check it out.You can do a search on aeromotive pumps also. That is probably what you have but you need to check and make sure.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ght=aeromotive
Old 01-18-2003, 08:58 PM
m p p

aeromotive has had some problems with the reformulated gas, the alcohal would break apart the adhesive. if your pump was manufactured before june 02 they will rebuild it with new parts that will hold up with our great gas,fuel return lines should be routed back to the tank on carb & mpi engines when it is possible

Old 01-18-2003, 08:58 PM
Registered

Also,
Before Aeromotive PC used to use a pump called SX. I burned up 2 of them.
The Aeromotive seems to be working fine.

DAVE
Old 01-19-2003, 08:37 AM
Banned
Gold Member

Default Thank you everyone

I appreciate the input.

Just want to make sure everything is right when I install my new engine. The last builder wasn't too good. The engine had the wrong rear seal, severely worn valve guides, loose wrist pins etc... A really sloppy rebuild. This time its done right and I sure don't need a faulty fuel pump ruining my good time!!!
Old 01-19-2003, 08:43 AM
Registered

If you use the Aero. use #10 lines to and from and return from the reg back to the tank. That will keep enough fuel running through the pump to keep it cool.
DAVE
Old 01-19-2003, 11:15 AM
Banned
Gold Member

Default What type of pump do I have?

My pump doesn't resemble anything on the Aeromotive site???

I'm trying to locate a picture of it to post.

I received the updated "Red" fuel regulator from Procharger. How would I plumb this regulator as the original regulator bolted directly to my fuel cooler. Does anyone have a diagram or picture of the installtion with the Red Regulator? Is there a blockoff plate for the cooler?
Old 01-19-2003, 12:38 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

Pantera -

Not like this??
http://216.242.145.16/products/product.phtml?p=3

This is the one I see on most of em.
Old 01-19-2003, 01:11 PM
Banned
Gold Member

No, thats not it. Here's a picture of my engine, the pump is the aluminum cylinder that I circled. Not a great shot, I'll post a good picture as soon as I can.

Quick Reply: Procharger Fuel Pump failures

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.