Making of a Race Fairing (Formula 302) >

Making of a Race Fairing (Formula 302)

Notices

Making of a Race Fairing (Formula 302)

Old 03-14-2003, 09:30 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This is the Port Corner. First I tabed in the corner like the center. Then I took the inside piece of the fairing and bonded it to the outside. The next picture should show more of that.
Attached Thumbnails Making of a Race Fairing (Formula 302)-tabbing-port-corner.jpg  
Old 03-14-2003, 09:33 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

This showes the inside of the fairing. What is happening if you look close is I am twisting the inside piece. At the front it angles slightly in and parralles the outside. As it works back I am bringing it more vertical to make it match up with the back. Also you can see that it gets wider as it moves to the back. I hope this gives it a more "built in the mold" look.
Attached Thumbnails Making of a Race Fairing (Formula 302)-bonding-inside-fairing.jpg  
Old 03-15-2003, 08:06 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Today I got to get the Starboard side all set. To bond the pieces together I am using Vinalester Resin and Micro balloons (actually West system 404). You want to make sure you scrape every last bit of excess material off the boat as this stuff DOES NOT sand well at all. I also am putting paper all over before I bring anything with resin into the boat. All these pictures have the paper removed as I have been taking the pictures when I am done for the day.

All clamped up.
Attached Thumbnails Making of a Race Fairing (Formula 302)-boat-fairing-rebuild-069.jpg  
Old 03-15-2003, 08:08 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

It is hard to see but I have tabed the inside of the window then Put the inside piece of the NIDA core in place. By doing this I have made a SUPER strong bonding area at the corner.
Attached Thumbnails Making of a Race Fairing (Formula 302)-boat-fairing-rebuild-070.jpg  
Old 03-15-2003, 09:36 PM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jon, looks good. When you are done, are you going to use paint or Gelcoat?
Old 03-15-2003, 10:29 PM
ren3

You have done a nice job, but I would like to make a suggestion that micro balloons or any similar filler are not intended for high strength structural bonding. They can be used as a fillet if a radius is desired where parts meet from different angles, but only after the parts are bonded with the appropriate fillers. Micro baloons simply act as an easily sandable filler for the much harder epoxy resin. Of course I am assuming that the bonding is done with epoxy and not polyester resins. Colloidial silica. chopped glass fibers, or a combination of the two make a much stronger bond.

Also I have a 1/2" thick black plexiglas windshield/fairing for a Cigarette Mistress/ Awesome that is free for the taking. Just pay shipping. I have the packing and it is free. This was never installed on my 35'Awesome. I believe that this will fit the 28' Cigarette as well. The wings are seven feet long. Height is about 8". If anyone needs a winshield fabricated out of aluminum and glass, look at AJR Windows in Vancouver, BC. They are wonderful folks and did my new Awesome windshield. Call with any questions. 303-674-1607. Bob N.

Old 03-16-2003, 06:58 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Ren. The stuff that I am using is not really Micro balloons. I also hear ya on the not for bonding thing. This whole thing is going to get covered with about a 1/16th to a 1/8th inch of glass when we are done. The mix of 404 and Vinallester is stricktly for holding it all together. Even as it is not due to the way the NIDA core is I can jump on the weakest part of the winshield with all my 210 pounds and it does not even budge. Anyhow more pictures to come this evening

Jon
Old 03-16-2003, 12:12 PM
ren3

Jon, I accept the destruction test results! There is a product available that you can use as a tie tie layer between epoxy and polyester gel coat that allows the gel coat to cure properly. I do not know if you are looking at plain gel coat on the exterior or vinylester since you mentioned that. I have used West Sytem epoxy extensively, but I have had no experience with vinylester resins. Are you using vinylester? It is very hard to find out here in Colorado in reasonable quantities. Bob.

Old 03-16-2003, 09:10 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

So today I broke into the dash board This is a picture after I removed the guages and took out the wiring.
Attached Thumbnails Making of a Race Fairing (Formula 302)-boat-dash-pannel-001.jpg  
Old 03-16-2003, 09:13 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Ren3: Yes I am using Vinylester resin. It is easy for me to get out this way. I purchased a 5 gallon pail from a company called Composites 1. You may want to check on the web as they are nation wide.

Quick Reply: Making of a Race Fairing (Formula 302)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.