Making of a Race Fairing (Formula 302) >

Making of a Race Fairing (Formula 302)

Notices

Making of a Race Fairing (Formula 302)

Old 04-13-2003, 09:06 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This is a closer shot of the one above. It shows the lip to hopefully deflect the wind and bugs up over our heads. This also shows the Mahogony insert that I put in there to allow for things to be mounted into the top of the fairing at a later date. One of the problems with NIDA CORE is that it will not allow you to screw anything to it with out a wood or some other filler.
Attached Thumbnails Making of a Race Fairing (Formula 302)-boat-fairing-rebuild-076.jpg  
Old 04-13-2003, 09:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jon,

Mrs. Chart and I are reading this together, and she responded to your comment about struggling with the location for your new McLoud bolsters -- "Well, send them to Chesterfield MO boy, 518 XXXXX Drive"

Chart
Old 04-13-2003, 09:41 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jon, after careful measuring on my 302, I have to agree with Too Old and Chart, there is no way the bolsters will fit in your 302, Charts 302, or Too Old's Mistress. I suggest you send them south for my 20 foot project Formula. I will even be gracious enough to pay the shipping so you don't have to look at them and think of what a mistake they were.
Old 05-04-2003, 07:02 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Ok back at it again. This week I made some real progress. Took some time on Thursday evening and today and this is were I am now at. After a lot of consideration as to how to finish off the inside I decided to go with bracing on the inside. This will serve two purposes. One is it will strengthen the deck and the fairing. The second is it will give me a KILLER place to put some tunes. FINALLY a proper location for front speakers After all if you are doing it yourself do it the way you want it to be
Attached Thumbnails Making of a Race Fairing (Formula 302)-boat-fairing-rebuild-079.jpg  
Old 05-04-2003, 07:04 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Man working all these angles was not for the week at heart Especially when you are playing with 200 buck a sheet plywood!!!! I made up dummy pieces with cheap stuff before I made the real deal.
Attached Thumbnails Making of a Race Fairing (Formula 302)-boat-fairing-rebuild-080.jpg  
Old 05-04-2003, 07:08 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

This is the drivers side. I hope to be able to put my GPS in this area with the speakers to the outside. In front of the hatch there will be a bulkhead as well. This will make it real easy to clean the boat. Before you could not get up in that area and it always had dirt in there.
Attached Thumbnails Making of a Race Fairing (Formula 302)-boat-fairing-rebuild-081.jpg  
Old 05-04-2003, 07:11 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

The problem with NIDA Core is that it is nothing but air in the middle. If you ever want to screw into to mount anything you are all done, it aint gona happen. Also if you are glassing over the top of it you have to be carefull. So to solve this problem I took the plywood and capped off the fairing with it. To the back I wanted a slight roll to the fairing so I curfed (think that is what it is called) the lower part so that it would bend.
Attached Thumbnails Making of a Race Fairing (Formula 302)-boat-fairing-rebuild-082.jpg  
Old 05-04-2003, 07:12 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Hopefully this week I can find some time off and the steering stuff will arrive. Then I can mount that up and complete the dash. With a little luck in about 2-3 weekends I will be ready for glass.

Jon
Old 05-04-2003, 07:30 PM
ren3

I wanted to thank you on the heads up a month ago on buying Nydacore from Composites 1. I bought some out of their Salt Lake City center and plan on using it for coring for cabinets and under the bedding area and couches in my Cigarette. It will save me a lot of weight and be significantly stiffer than foam core. Good luck on the fairings. Bob.

Old 05-04-2003, 08:17 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Bob that is what it is all about man Did you know that you can get the NIDA core with wood manimated to it as well? Just an idea for your cabinets

Jon

Quick Reply: Making of a Race Fairing (Formula 302)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.