Making of a Race Fairing (Formula 302) >

Making of a Race Fairing (Formula 302)

Notices

Making of a Race Fairing (Formula 302)

Old 01-21-2003, 10:31 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

We then papered the boat to protect from any resin spilling and then bonded the wing plates on with a mixture of resin and Micro Balloons. The Micro Balloons allowed us to make a thick paste out of the resin so that it would take up the voids and inconsistancies btwn the hull and our parts. We also wrapped the braces in wax paper (poor mans release agent) and then used wood spacers to evenly space the window in along the edge that we were trying to work with. If you look close you can see the dark brown/almost black spacers.
Attached Thumbnails Making of a Race Fairing (Formula 302)-bonding-fairing-2-oso.jpg  
Old 01-21-2003, 10:34 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

This is a picture of the 1" thick NIDA Core bonded to the hull. As of now I could probably stand on it and it will not break. This stuff is REALLY strong.
Attached Thumbnails Making of a Race Fairing (Formula 302)-fairing-after-brace-removal-oso.jpg  
Old 01-21-2003, 10:41 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

We wanted to test how well this stuff would bend and Chart is considering making a rounded front fairing (guess strait lines are too easy ) So we did this test. As you can see it bends VERY liniarly and also can take quite a sharp bend. The gentle bend we kirfed(sp?) the back of the material every 1" and the sharp bend we removed about 2" of material.
Attached Thumbnails Making of a Race Fairing (Formula 302)-nida-core-shaping.jpg  

Last edited by Audiofn; 01-21-2003 at 11:13 PM.
Old 01-21-2003, 10:43 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

This also allowed me a chance to show Chart how to glass the stuff up. Glassing is REALLY easy if you take the time to prep things and think everything out before you get HIGH off the fumes. It can be messy but some Accetone and it is quick to clean up as long as you are carefull. Stay tuned we should have more to see after this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails Making of a Race Fairing (Formula 302)-nida-core-shaped-oso.jpg  
Old 01-21-2003, 10:48 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Originally posted by 302SR1
Chart and Jon

As far as the guages go, what ones do you have? I can't remember. The only one I really need is the clock. It just bothers me that it doesn't work. Not that I'd use it. A tach also acts a little funny but it's intermiittant.
Chart is going to look at his guages for you and see if he has a clock that will work. He may also have a tach that will fit. I have a HOG POG of different stuff that is all going to get replaced this summer. I will have tachs, speedo (gps), water temp, water pressure, oil temp, and oil preasure. I am toying with the idea of tranny temps guages also but I do not think so.
Old 01-21-2003, 11:21 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Originally posted by later
Chart
My wife and i meet you wife at the St Louis oso gathering, im sure she told ya we had a great time, on my fountain they use a clear acrylic wind venturi (screen) at the top of the fairing which does a remarkable job of keeping the wind off your face, I live in Chesterfield if you need any help give a shot.
Later
Dave

Chart here on Jon's computer:

Yes, Mrs. Chart did say it was a great time meeting you and the rest of the St. Louis OSOers. I think it was very adventurish of her to brave a group of rough-neck OSOers on her own. I regretted missing it, but this project was too important and had been planned for several weeks. I may well take you up on your offer, as at times two people can make this kind of project go several times faster than one alone. Do you keep your Fountain at the lake, or winter-store it back in St. Louis?

Chart
Old 01-22-2003, 07:03 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jon, and Chart, that stuff looks great! Nice job. I like how you can bend it. I may have to consider that. What is that material called again? Where does a guy find it?

Wasn't that stuff used on Ship Shape one time last year?

Last edited by Payton; 01-22-2003 at 08:07 AM.
Old 01-22-2003, 07:06 AM
olysan

Great project guys.

That honeycomb material makes a lot of sense structuraly, but it's quite a bit thicker than Plexi-Glass or AL. Do you guys like the way it looks with the increased thickness? It's hard to get a good feel from a pic, but I'm guessing it looks kinda neat, and you won't have to worry about anybody stepping on your fairing and breaking it when they go to set a line.

Chart - Are you a St. Louis guy? I'd love to help out when you do yours. I've been having windshield problems for a couple years, and need to get something done. I'd like to see how you do this, and get a look at the results first hand.

Mike

Old 01-22-2003, 07:59 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Jon great job. I like the idea of following the curve of the deck even thought I think my wind screen wings are straight. I'm not sure I would have bonded the fairing right to the deck only because I like the idea of being able to convert back to a wind screen some day if you change your mind. Having said that if you are not going to use your old wind screen would you consider selling it to me , I would like to make a cut down version for my boat. If you are interested you can email at " [email protected] " Thanks and keep the pics coming you guys are doing a great job. Regards Rick G.
Old 01-22-2003, 08:40 AM
Brad Perry

I can't wait to see how you guys are going to treat the top edge. That's some neat material. I guess since you bonded it directly to the boat, you are planning on feathering it right into the deck. Did you remove any gel where you bonded to?

Quick Reply: Making of a Race Fairing (Formula 302)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.