Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Making of a Race Fairing (Formula 302) >

Making of a Race Fairing (Formula 302)

Notices

Making of a Race Fairing (Formula 302)

Old 01-22-2003, 09:05 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

What a great thread showing us the progression of your project, im assuming that, once your framing is in place you will then glass over the seam at the bottom and glass over the top for a finished look? Will you finish off the inside with upholstry or smooth finish.

Chart if you need a hand just give me shout, i keep my boat at the lake, sometime over at raymonds this year its on the hoist.

Later
Dave
Old 01-22-2003, 08:06 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flew back to my office in Indy this afternoon. Jon and I cut out the windshield parts and mitered them to fit the wings. We thought about taking pictures of that, but it looks like the mock up, so no reason to use server space for that. Before bonding them to the deck, Jon wants to brace the deck from inside the cabin, so as to NOT bond a structural faring to a flexed deck. (His old windshield actually added a lot of support to the deck, and without it, the deck flexes more than he likes. Especially when a couple of people are on the deck trying to bond the faring to the deck).

With the little time left before going to the airport, we mocked up a wind deflecting lip out of the same material as the faring. We've given lots of thought to plexiglass like material to bolt on the top of the faring to keep wind out of our faces, but this may work as well. This will also give a larger flat area on top of the faring. The way this is built, stepping, standing, dancing, jumping etc on the top of the windshild part of the faring will cause NO damage. . . . we hope.

What do you think of the lip in the picture? Is it too big, too low, just right, what? We've got our views, but would like to know yours' too.
Attached Thumbnails Making of a Race Fairing (Formula 302)-pict0093-oso.jpg  
Old 01-22-2003, 08:13 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Payton
Jon, and Chart, that stuff looks great! Nice job. I like how you can bend it. I may have to consider that. What is that material called again? Where does a guy find it?

Wasn't that stuff used on Ship Shape one time last year?
Hi Payton,

It's called Nida-Core and is made in Florida. We bought ours from Composits One in RI, but looking on their web site, they have a dist. center near you in Goshin IN. It comes in several finishes on the outside, and we used the chopper gun fiberglass finish. It could be ready to paint or gel coat with minimal prep. As far as Ship Shape, I don't know. Because I'm a boater, I'm too poor to afford cable TV.

Chart
Old 01-22-2003, 08:26 PM
Registered

Originally posted by olysan
Great project guys.

That honeycomb material makes a lot of sense structuraly, but it's quite a bit thicker than Plexi-Glass or AL. Do you guys like the way it looks with the increased thickness? It's hard to get a good feel from a pic, but I'm guessing it looks kinda neat, and you won't have to worry about anybody stepping on your fairing and breaking it when they go to set a line.

Chart - Are you a St. Louis guy? I'd love to help out when you do yours. I've been having windshield problems for a couple years, and need to get something done. I'd like to see how you do this, and get a look at the results first hand.

Mike
The nida core is very strong, and we think yahoos can try to hold the boat off the dock with it and there will be no damage. It can be punctured easily, because it is only a 1/16 mil of fiberglass, but it does great taking preasure over a minimume area of an inch or two. And that is a lot more likely to happen than someone trying to poke a phillips screwdriver through it.

Personally, I like the thicker look of a faring over the thin look of al or glass. On my boat, I'm hopeing to double the wing thickness to match the gunnel thickness, but will have to see first. I lost count of how many ideas we had that would not work or had to be changed due to the angles of the boat. It will be thursday evening before I get back home to try the templets on my boat.

Olysan: Yes, I moved to St. Louis about a year ago. Still have an office in Indy. We live in Chesterfield, and would enjoy working with you on this. PM your contact info, and we'll get together.

Chart
Old 01-22-2003, 08:28 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

AWSOME
Old 01-22-2003, 08:34 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Brad Perry
I can't wait to see how you guys are going to treat the top edge. That's some neat material. I guess since you bonded it directly to the boat, you are planning on feathering it right into the deck. Did you remove any gel where you bonded to?
Yes Jon did remove gel coat. Look in the last picture I posted, and see the El Camino in the foreground? It was royal blue on Friday. Personally, I don't know if I have it in me to take a 36 grit grinder to my boat It was one of the saddest moments we had doing this project. Kind of like cutting into a patient to do surgery. In fact, I'm considering glueing my faring to the gunnell instead of glassing it. Will have a better idea after I get home to it.

Chart
Old 01-22-2003, 08:38 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Chart maybe you are working on it now but can you please post up the pictures of the side view with the lip up high and then a little lower. Thanks

Jon
Old 01-22-2003, 08:43 PM
Registered

Originally posted by later
What a great thread showing us the progression of your project, im assuming that, once your framing is in place you will then glass over the seam at the bottom and glass over the top for a finished look? Will you finish off the inside with upholstry or smooth finish.

Chart if you need a hand just give me shout, i keep my boat at the lake, sometime over at raymonds this year its on the hoist.

Later
Dave
Later: Yes that's exactly what Jon will do. He would like to add padded upholstry to the top after the glass is done. And there will be some work on the inside of his boat, with the wings filled in and smoothed to the cockpit "wall". Because of the angle of the wing, and the tapering of the gunnell as it moves toward the deck, it will be a challenge to fill it in and make it look good, but Jon will do it. He also plans to add bulkheads under the trailing edge of the windshild part going virtically down to the dash, where gauges can be added on both sides of the boat. As my dash is different than his, the jury is still out on how to do this on mine.

You bet I'll give you a shout! One of the most productive parts of the past few days was the brainstorming on design. I'd welcome your help with that to start.

Chart
Old 01-22-2003, 09:00 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Audiofn
Chart maybe you are working on it now but can you please post up the pictures of the side view with the lip up high and then a little lower. Thanks

Jon
Jon, for you, ANYTHING!!

This picture is of the lip higher than the wing, as a pelxi lip might look. What do you all think of it high, vs. the next picture with it lower, even with the wing?
Attached Thumbnails Making of a Race Fairing (Formula 302)-pict0096oso.jpg  

Last edited by Chart; 01-22-2003 at 09:05 PM.
Old 01-22-2003, 09:02 PM
Registered

And this is the faring lower, even with the top of the wing.
Attached Thumbnails Making of a Race Fairing (Formula 302)-pict0094oso.jpg  

Quick Reply: Making of a Race Fairing (Formula 302)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.