Eagle Cranks??? >

Eagle Cranks???

Notices

Eagle Cranks???

Old 01-20-2003, 11:50 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea maybe I can get Mark to pull me!!!!but then again I run my boat every weekend all summer .......Mark you going to be ready this season or next? Just Razzin you man!!!!There was a day when If I was single and had no mortgage like Mark I could build killer motors too!!!but them days are gone.....Come to think of it I've never seen Marks boat on the water during the Summer months...I think he's part Escimo....
Old 01-20-2003, 01:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dyno;

Eagle crank and rods will work fine up to 800 or so HP in a marine application. I don't think I would try to turn a set 8500, but I don't think you are a drag boater I think the margins are better on callies, oliver, crower, lunati, etc and that partly is why the "industry" pushes them. Sure the "higher end" parts will stand more power/abuse, but how many of marine engines ever see big rpm and 1,000+ HP? Not many, so how much "insurance" is needed? I run a callies, but I have a 4.75" stroke and 6.80" Oliver rods. Three years ago I had little choice because there were only 3 manufactures who made 4.75" strokers. Things are different today. My rods are still overkill, but I do occasionally spray 250+ NOS on top of the 900hp and like the "insurance".
Old 01-20-2003, 02:21 PM
bobby daniels

AS LONG AS YOU CHECK THE MACHINE WORK THE RADII ECT THE
EAGLE CRANK MAY WORK ,IN A LOW H.P. APP.
ITS YOUR CHOICE DO YOU FEEL LUCKY ??????

THE RODS ARE FINE

Old 01-20-2003, 02:49 PM
Washed Away

FYI. Ford uses Scat cranks in their crate motors. (I know its Ford so start the jokes, but it still has to pass their durability testing and comes with a warrenty). I think there's alot of cranks (1000's) that ship in from oversea and are machined in the U.S. Quality machine work on a 4340 crank should last a long time. There's a lot of cast crank motors runnig around just fine with hundreds of hours on them. All that said, the cranks made here in the usa are superior if you can afford them.

Old 01-20-2003, 02:57 PM
blown1500

From my limited experience, the Eagles are pretty good forgings but their machining is not consistent. If you got a good one, you can do almost anything even a hot rod boat needs. The problem is if you get one that has an error-too big a fillet radius will burn a bearing quickly!!!!!!!
These and Scat have been the most trouble for me, and if you correct the machining, they work OK

Old 01-20-2003, 03:26 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My buddy has a machine shop and has used many Eagles in boat , drag , circle track engines. No crank related failures...just be VERY careful with the assembly process and check everything. Cranks aren't bad , but the QC of the finished product sometimes really sucks. Check eack rod and main surface all the way across(watch for taper). The worst one he ever had was a sbf with a one piece rear main and an out of round seal surface that leak drove him
On a final note I have two myself , going in a pair of 540's any day now You know how that goes.
Old 01-20-2003, 05:21 PM
Apache22

Built a 461 cu in with eagle H beam rods & Eagle crank, checked clearences on eveything and resized the new rods to get the bearing fit we wanted. fly cut and balanced crank and so far no problems 461 cu in 500 hp