Polishing satin finish stainless steel

Notices

Polishing satin finish stainless steel

Old 01-21-2003, 08:12 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polishing satin finish stainless steel

Polishing satin finish s.s. headers, is it possible, any ideas????
Old 01-21-2003, 08:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Possible. LOTS of WORK. Have it done
Old 01-21-2003, 08:51 PM
Registered

all it takes is time and money/oh also the know how part,I think it would be better to have them chromed? easier and cheaper and it would look perfect.just my thoughts.Darin
Old 01-21-2003, 09:20 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,938 Likes on 976 Posts

I guess it depends on how polished you want them. I just got a set of CMI Platinum Series headers with the polished upper and satin lower. After about 4 hours per header using only Mothers mag wheel polish, the lowers are looking pretty good. It is by no means as good as a factory polish job, but unless you look at it up close, you can't hardly tell that they are'nt fully polished.
Attached Thumbnails Polishing satin finish stainless steel-mvc-018s.jpg  
Old 01-21-2003, 09:39 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally posted by Griff
I guess it depends on how polished you want them. I just got a set of CMI Platinum Series headers with the polished upper and satin lower. After about 4 hours per header using only Mothers mag wheel polish, the lowers are looking pretty good. It is by no means as good as a factory polish job, but unless you look at it up close, you can't hardly tell that they are'nt fully polished.
those look like the same header, but mine are all a machine or satin look
Old 01-21-2003, 11:13 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,938 Likes on 976 Posts

They are CMI Unitops. Fully polished from the weld where the 4 runners go into the riser. I probably could have gotten the lowers fully polished out if I had started with some real fine emery cloth. They look pretty good though and the extra work wasn't worth it to me.
Old 01-22-2003, 08:25 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Grainger carries 3m deburring wheels. You'll want the medium grit. Get a couple of different sizes/shapes and mount them in a die grinder. Go nuts. These wheels will leave a light satin finish that actually is rather attractive. You can now go to the emery on a spiral wheel. Usually the emery leaves a pretty good shine. Finish off with the stainless compund and you're done!
Old 01-22-2003, 11:59 AM
Big E

Hey Griff - those look nice. I have a standard stock prop on a 29 Outlaw with a dull, I guess satin finish. My old boat a 252 Islander had a stock prop on it but it was very polished. Can I get that look out of my prop for the 29 Outlaw by doing what you just did? Or are we getting into labbing to get that kind of look?

Old 01-22-2003, 12:17 PM
Registered

Lightbulb poling prop only

Originally posted by Big E
Hey Griff - those look nice. I have a standard stock prop on a 29 Outlaw with a dull, I guess satin finish. My old boat a 252 Islander had a stock prop on it but it was very polished. Can I get that look out of my prop for the 29 Outlaw by doing what you just did? Or are we getting into labbing to get that kind of look?
YOU DONT HAVE TO HAVE THE PROP LABBED,it would be consired a basic clean up and polish /will be gald to help /just give me a call.Darin M
Old 01-22-2003, 12:20 PM
Registered

good job! they look great.

Quick Reply: Polishing satin finish stainless steel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.