Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
engine compartment paint >

engine compartment paint

Notices

engine compartment paint

Old 01-23-2003, 12:12 PM
Joe Krumske

Default engine compartment paint

Before this summer I plan on adding quite a bit of diamond plating to my engine compartment but there are still a few places where I will not be able to plate. I'm wondering what is a good paint to use? Easy to apply? Best corrosion resistance? Holds up good from staining? etc... etc...

Joe Krumske

Old 01-23-2003, 12:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Theres lots of info regarding this if you search for it. I used white Awlgrip, very strong and easy to clean. I brushed it. I also found out in the meantime that it is deadly if your not on a respirator. Oh well, we all have to die sometime.
Old 01-23-2003, 01:21 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the process of painting right now, I am using Interlux Bilgekote. see my post: http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...997#post475997

It on the 47 fountain project post.
Old 01-23-2003, 03:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used BilgeKote on two boats. works really good & impervious to gas & oil. Requires two or three coats and really good cleaning to get started. Some have used Rustoleum with good results, but is no gas & oil impervios... have to work a little harder to keep it up (keep bilge dry).
Old 01-23-2003, 04:01 PM
Registered

I used Pittit easy -poxy in the whole engine bay and after rearanging oil lines (messy) and also a gas tank replacement ...(bilge full of fuel) it has held up great...from everything I had read before deciding what to use ...if i kept my boat in the water for any length of time i would have used something more along the lines of the Bilge-Kote
Old 01-23-2003, 04:44 PM
Registered

I to went with Interlux bilge-coat.When I called Interlux they gave me the answer I needed to hear, it was made for that.Call any manufacture regardless of what you hear and ask if it will work and work well.I dam sure don't want to do it again any time soon (as in my life time)so I went with the stuff that is made for Bilges.If you go with Interlux you will need the right primer to.Do it right do it once!
Old 01-23-2003, 08:45 PM
pb
Charter Member
Charter Member

Joe,
Interlux Interthane is what Cord and I used. This stuff is bullet proof. Probably a little more work but worth the effort. I think Bilgekote only comes in gray. Pick your color with Interthane and for sure wear a respirator. Good luck. Email with any questions.

Paul
Old 01-24-2003, 07:44 AM
Joe Krumske

PB. My concern with the Bilgecoat was the color (did NOT want grey). I looked it up in Boat U.S. and they only sold it in grey. I called Interlux and they said that they had white and its the one they suggest using for this application. I asked them about the Interlux Interthane and they said that it was very durable and there was many colors to choose from but it would not hold up to gas and oil "as good" as the bilgecoat.

Raypanic. WOW that is one hell of a bilge. I wish I had to put "three" motors back in (maybe). LOOKIN GREAT. Keep us posted, with pics.

Thanks for all the input. Right now it sounds as though I'm going to use Bilgecote.

Joe Krumske

Old 01-24-2003, 09:09 AM
ursus

Originally posted by Joe Krumske
... about the Interlux Interthane ... they said that it was very durable and there was many colors to choose from but it would not hold up to gas and oil "as good" as the bilgecoat...

Holding up to constant exposure to gas and oil requires some very specific properties which most epoxy and polyurethane based coatings do not have. Bilgekoat does and works great.

When a Manufacturer makes several products each designed for a specific use I always wonder why some folks think a product designed for something different will work better than the product specifically designed for that use.