Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Roller Rockers, are the worth the cost and effort?? >

Roller Rockers, are the worth the cost and effort??

Notices

Roller Rockers, are the worth the cost and effort??

Old 01-24-2003, 10:12 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

As mentioned by a few others, you will almost have no choice but to use roller rocker arms when going to a higher lift cam. GM once made their stamped steel rocker arm called "long slot" rocker arms that took on a higher lift cam, but I do not remember what its lift limits are. I tend to believe the roller style rocker arms have advantages over the stamped steel ones as blown1500 has mentioned---ratios are more accurate too. Just look around and you'll see roller rocker arms on all performance oriented engines.

The new Jesel Sportsman's Series shaft mount roller rocker arms for about $695 as advertised I have heard have failed in some cases, but I don't know how extreme of case they failed under. I was just told to use the next grade up that Jesel makes.
Old 01-25-2003, 09:52 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW Mark!!!!you want him to drop $700 on a set of rockers on a stock Mag motor????you can buy Harland sharp or Crane Golds for a little over $200 and they work Great!!!!
Old 01-25-2003, 10:10 AM
blown1500

Dyno,
I have had less problems with Harland Sharp than Crane Gold and they cost less than $200 in the mail order catalogues. We try to go for stainless rockers like Crower or Comp. They just don't break. Shaft rockers are the ticket, but think about whether they are necessary to justify the cost.
Like KAAMA says, the ratios are better with roller rockers. The Comp roller tip Magnums have good ratio also. The general improvement in performance between stock and roller is true ratio. The stamped rockers, no matter who made them-GM, Ford, Manley............ they are not true and not consistent. A 1.7 rocker is never 1.7 but something less. 1.5 Chevy SB rockers I have tested were sometimes as low as 1.42:1.
If you burn a rocker on a stock application, it's a lubrication problem. I think Crane makes "Kool Nuts" to deflect the oil where it needs to go. This works.

Old 02-02-2003, 10:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Re: Roller Rockers

Thanks for the info,

The reason I was considering it, was I have low compression, which I have to check again to see if its valves or rings. But if its valves, and I have to take the heads off, I figuired I might as well do the roller rockers, only IF it makes much sence. And money these days IS an issue, stock market!! Making it last longer would be nice.

Would greatly appreciate your input.

Thanks in advance

Richard "2Slow"

Originally posted by blown1500
Hello, Guys,
I agree with Griff. The rolller rockers will help some things, like a tiny hp gain unless you get 1.8 rockers or something, but even that is relatively small increase on your motor. Roller rockers do help valve guide life, small help with oil temp. If you need rockers for some other reason-wear, breakage, etc., I would look at Comp roller tilp Magnums. They will be maybe 10hp and relatively cheap. But not worth the change unless you need rockers.
I'd save the money for a cam to go with the rockers, or even just a cam!!
My Original question:
Hi,

I have a stock 454 Magnum, carb model with CMI headers on a 21
Eliminator.

Wondering if converting the heads to roller rockers is worth the cost and
effort.

Most of my driving is going half throttle, and a couple of full throttle poker
runs.

Thank you in advance
Old 02-02-2003, 10:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

If you have the heads sitting on the bench then, yes, I'd do it.
Old 02-02-2003, 10:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by mcollinstn
If you have the heads sitting on the bench then, yes, I'd do it.
I totally agree but remember you will have to replace your stock valve covers or modify them as the roller rockers will not clear the drippers for stock rockers. If everything else is stock and you want to save the $$$ and the stock rockers are in good shape you can certainly reuse them. If you reuse your stock valve covers you can probably put roller rockers in for around $250 and that includes the new studs.
Old 02-03-2003, 09:59 AM
blown1500

One more thing, Comp Cams makes cast steel roller tip rockers that WILL fit with stock valve covers and they do give some hp. as they are really 1.7 ratio and the stamped units are something less. They are cheap.