Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Roller Rockers, are the worth the cost and effort?? >

Roller Rockers, are the worth the cost and effort??

Notices

Roller Rockers, are the worth the cost and effort??

Old 01-23-2003, 11:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Roller Rockers, are the worth the cost and effort??

Hi,

I have a stock 454 Magnum, carb model with CMI headers on a 21 Eliminator.

Wondering if converting the heads to roller rockers is worth the cost and effort.

Most of my driving is going half throttle, and a couple of full throttle poker runs.

Thank you in advance

Old 01-24-2003, 03:33 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 971 Posts

Just doing the roller rockers is not worth it, in my opinion. You would not notice any difference in power or performance.
Old 01-24-2003, 04:28 AM
Registered

Check out Denniss Moore's book.............

Bad-Habit
Old 01-24-2003, 05:34 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2 Slow, I agree with Griff to just change over to roller rockers, will not do much.
Once you start there is no end to it except how much money you want to throw at it.
Roller rockers, then you will probably want to go to a different head such as the dart or Grumpy Jenkins design and then to roller lifters, and then more carb and so on.
If it is running good beat it to death until it breaks and then build something bigger.
Good Luck Brian
Old 01-24-2003, 06:51 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone use the New Jesel SS shaft mounted rockers?
Old 01-24-2003, 07:11 AM
blown1500

Hello, Guys,
I agree with Griff. The rolller rockers will help some things, like a tiny hp gain unless you get 1.8 rockers or something, but even that is relatively small increase on your motor. Roller rockers do help valve guide life, small help with oil temp. If you need rockers for some other reason-wear, breakage, etc., I would look at Comp roller tilp Magnums. They will be maybe 10hp and relatively cheap. But not worth the change unless you need rockers.
I'd save the money for a cam to go with the rockers, or even just a cam!!

Old 01-24-2003, 07:25 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stock rockers are just fine unless you change to a bigger lift cam. Then its likely you have to change the rockers anyway due to the greater rotation of the rocker requiring a longer slot. If you have to change the rockers anyway, you might as well go to rollers. There is some friction inprovement (claimed) and there may be some reduced valve guide wear, but there a lot of stock engines out there with 1000 hours on them. I dont think I would would trust rollers to go 1000 hrs. Dont do it unless you have too as a result of cam change.
Old 01-24-2003, 10:10 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

If the valve train needs work anyway its worth doing if not dont do it!!!
Old 01-24-2003, 07:28 PM
Registered

If you are looking for performance gains and with your set up I would say no not worth it. Just an FYI though. I think you will be surprized how much heat the ball rockers create at higher RPM. I run a 502mag in a 29' boat that cruise rpm is 3800 to 4000 rom. Sometimes it has ran that way for an 1hr or more. 21' boat I doupt you run it that hard for long. I had no oil temp trouble but when I pulled it down about half the rockers were blue from heat. Mainly the exhaust ones. I run roller rockers now. They are under the stock valve covers with a little modification. Stock set up works very well most of the time.
Old 01-24-2003, 08:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

I ran from Lake Barkley to my house (228 miles) cruising at 4100 rpm except for one stop for ice and gas (plus two sets of locks). We're talking almost 4 hours.

Noticed a valve cover gasket seeping a little so I tried to get away with tightening them down, but no dice. Ended up taking the exhausts off and replacing the gaskets (only the port one on each motor). Motors with 375 hours - rockers like new. I had Crane gold rollers to go in them but was really surprised to find them in such good shape. Ended up not swapping them out cause it was quicker to only change 2 gaskets and get back to boating...

Rollers get more and more necessary with increased spring pressures. Stock springs don't work em as hard.

Quick Reply: Roller Rockers, are the worth the cost and effort??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.