How much to repower an older Formula >

How much to repower an older Formula

Notices

How much to repower an older Formula

Old 01-24-2003, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much to repower an older Formula

Ah yes, the art of being indecisive... I have mastered it.

A little background - the Mrs and I are trying to figure out how to get back on the water this year, rather than next. The dinero for a new boat just isn't there, and unless we see some mighty big gains in the stock market, it looks like an older used boat may be the only option.

We've always liked the Formula 272 and 311 (Bill272 is a friend of ours, and his boat is very nice), and there are a number of them for sale. A lot of these boats have some fairly high hours, and I'm leery of putting the family in a boat with tired motors and having a problem out in the middle of the lake. So, from a cost standpoint, what's a ballpark for rebuilding or swapping out a set of 454's on a boat like this? I'm not looking to put in 800 hp blower motors - something along the lines of 400-500 hp would be sufficient.

Other old boat stuff (plumbing, wiring, cosmetics, etc) I can handle myself, but I think I'd rather go with a professional for power.

Just trying to work some numbers in my head (plus it's 10 fuggin' degrees here in Detroit!)
Old 01-24-2003, 09:45 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

www.1800runsnew.com

Everyone that I know that has purchased from them has been SUPER happy.

Jon
Old 01-24-2003, 09:53 AM
blown1500

dockrocker, the most cost efficient thing to do is rebuild what you have, if they are not destroyed or corroded to death. I can spend all the money you got or you can be reasonable in your choices and get out pretty well. First, have someone check your motors. They may be great even with some hours. Well maintained engines that have not been run hard and put up wet may need very little. If in doubt, post and you'll get some good advise, maybe some ??

Old 01-24-2003, 10:03 AM
Registered

Yeah, we're both going through serious boat withdrawals after only one season without a ride. Now the baby just turned one (she's why we sold our boat in the first place - it let the Admiral be a full-time mom) and we've got the bug, bad. I can't see us getting in to a new boat at this time, but a used boat is a definite possibility, and if I go used, I figure it's better to buy a boat that was quality built to begin with - thus the Formulas. There are other reasons as well, windshield, enclosed head, etc.

After looking on Boattrader, there's a fair number of these boats that have lived in the salt - Florida, east coast, etc - that worries a fresh water guy like me A lot of them list the hours up in the 400-500-600+ range, another concern.

So, I'm trying to get a feel for what it might cost to rebuild or replace a set of motors, just for budgeting purposes (and if the new motors have a bit more hp, well, thems the breaks, eh ) I've pretty much determined I'd prefer Bravos over TRS, just for replacement purposes - I don't want to have to worry about relocating the motors and reglassing the transom to move to Bravos somewhere down the line.
Old 01-24-2003, 10:17 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It all depends on the power you have to start with....if you have some 365hp 454's you got a great start. When we do ours (we assemble our own With the help of Crazyhorse!!) I think we get by for around $1500-2000 each....Then again if you buy a rigg thats been in the salt like I did you have the extra cost of new exhaust...EMI's are about $1000 a pair....
Old 01-24-2003, 10:29 AM
Banned

If you would consider a 242, there is a forum member with a sweet one he is cosidering selling. He lives in Chicago, so I assume it is a freshwater boat. It is the only one I've seen with McCleod cockpit (bolsters). 30 hrs on twin sbc's. If I didn't already own one, I'd be all over it. We love ours. Here's a link to some pics of his. I've also heard the 272 is a 242 with a swim platform. I have two Formula's and the quality is fantastic.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...threadid=38492
Old 01-24-2003, 10:34 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats Jafo's rigg I think! He's got beautiful stuff!!!!
Old 01-24-2003, 11:21 AM
Offshore Addiction

got a customer that has a 272 w/454's,motors have somewhere around 1000,hrs and are perfect,its got bravos and a trailer,boat is perfect,if you cant find anything else.

Old 01-24-2003, 12:06 PM
Registered

"There are other reasons as well, windshield, enclosed head, etc. "

Sorry to break it to you, DR, but our 272 doesn't have an enclosed head. It's one of the reasons we're looking to move up. A similar year 292 and up will have one. To be honest, that's about the only reason we'd switch. Everything else is great; rigging, electric, etc. Bill's called Formula for a few things and they're always helpful even tho the boat's an '89.

Christine
Old 01-24-2003, 12:50 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dockrocker,
There was a 311 Formula at my friends shop that came in with a hurt 502. The boat is called "Special K" you might have seen it . Anyways the customer wanted to go faster. So they decided to change the cam, intake and carbs. I believe the rebuilds (short blocks,heads), labor and new parts cost around $8000 , then the expensive part is the exhaust. The sky is the limit there. This person decided to go with Gils.
Well when everything was done and tuned and prop tested the boat ran 75 on GPS. We were all quite surprised because the motors are real mild. It sounds like they are making every bit of 500-525hp.
If you have anymore questions give Lenny a call at Millennyum Marine 586 468-7361.

Quick Reply: How much to repower an older Formula

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.