short gil risers.
I'm still waiting for my springs
to rust
My broken one's weren't
jt
Old 02-01-2003, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys who and what makes a good hand tool to remove the springs without removing the head? Does JEGs carry one?

Thanks
Shawn
Old 02-01-2003, 12:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

Shawn,

Go to AutoZone. They got a decent little 2-jaw spring compressor that'll work - it's free.

Jegs carries a better one but you gotta buy it.
Old 02-01-2003, 02:41 PM
Registered

mcolinstn, where is the best place to buy springs, retainers and locks?

Thanks
Shawn
Old 02-01-2003, 05:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

I have a wholesale account with a local parts distributor, so that is where I buy all my stuff.

JEGS and SUMMIT are both hard to beat, though. Also a place I used to buy from that I have bookmarked on my office computer - I'll try to remember to post the link - they are CHEEP.
Old 02-02-2003, 04:43 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

will the spring tools, thats a flat bar that bolts down over the stud and pulled down to relaese pressure on locks work or do you need the jaw type that compresses the spring?
later
Old 02-02-2003, 05:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The flat bar works fine, you may need to remove some of the valve cover studs. Be very sure you plug all the openings in the head with rags or something. Its amazing how easy one of those keepers will go down one of the openings and then you are pulling the whole motor apart. Make sure you are at TDC of the cylinder you are working on and use a little air pressure to keep the valve up and closed.
Old 02-02-2003, 06:27 PM
blown1500

Moroso makes a dandy piece. It screws onto the stud and compresses the spring straight down then locks in place. Fits BBC and SBC. Call Summit, Jegs, etc. I like these the best. They will work on most roller springs and don't interfere with almost anything once the valve cover is off.

Old 02-06-2003, 09:44 AM
Registered

OK boys and girls, what about the lifters and rocker arms? At what interval should they be changed?

Thanks
Shawn
Old 02-27-2003, 07:36 PM
Low Rider

I am almost scared to ask, butttttttt..... I have a 502efi and I don't think the springs have ever been changed (1994 engines). The engines are not run hard and only see wot 2 or 3 times a summer, but the boat is used often. I know I have a milder cam then a hp500 so am I running on borrowed time? I had an engine out in the winter of 2001 and if I had read a thread like this before that I would have changed the springs when I had the motor out. I have a Dominator and don't think I can change the springs with both motors in. I find it amazing that the spring life on a high performance marine engine is only 200 hours. I understand the load a marine engine is under but there are alot of high performance applicatiions out here that knock the snot out of an engine and although failures occur it is very seldom the springs and many of them have a lot more radical cam the a hp500. I agree that @ 5,000 rpm a boat engine is a load on a spring but so is 9,000 rpm in a 1/4 mile with nitros and a big blower at wot. The spring is not considered the weak point in these or other off road applications. I am not a mechanic but find it curious this spring life issue can not be solved.

John

Quick Reply: HP500 valvesprings

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.