fuel tank removal >

fuel tank removal

Notices

fuel tank removal

Old 01-26-2003, 09:20 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question fuel tank removal

upon removing carpet and lifting the hatch on the rear tank I found the foam surrounding the tank to be saturated with water,. So I think I need to remove that tank and reinstall with new foam.
Are there any tricks or is it as straight forword as it appears . 1976 28ss thanks for any insight
Old 01-26-2003, 11:07 AM
rws
Registered

I also have a vintage Cigarette, 1977.You may want to replace the tank if you are going to all of the trouble of removing it!Older Cigarette's are nortorious for leaking fuel tanks.I used a piece of 1 1/4"copper tubing with the end cut open for about 3" up one side and spread open to dig the foam out.

Good Luck
Rob
Old 01-26-2003, 11:10 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You can also use I think it is Accetone to melt the foam. Just pour it in there and watch it melt away. This will save you some time after you get the BULK of it out.

Jon
Old 01-26-2003, 01:51 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

be carefull I know if you melt styrofoam in diesel you can make a napalm-like substance (so i've heard)
Old 01-28-2003, 05:37 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

28 SS Typically people will replace the foam and the tank if there is a fuel leak.
I would suggest to leave it alone until you run into this condition.
Boats are typically wet especially if you store it outside.
If you feel you need to pull the tank it is not a small project.
I'm not sure but I believe you may have two tanks one one each side of the bulkhead in the center of the hull.
To get the fuel tank out is one thing, once it is out are you going to test it? If you are how are you going to test it? If you put pressure to the tank, how much pressure are you going to pump into it? Be real careful here, if you put too much pressure into it you will blow the baffles out of the tank and have another big repair on your hands. And when you reinstall it precisley how are you going to do it. You need to space the tank off of the bottom of the hull to a particular dimension, what is that? And then you have to install the foam. You need to have the hull warm and the tank anchored down solidly before you kick the foam. If you do not anchor the tank down it will rise with the foam. You also need to use a gasoline oil resistant foam, otherwise you are wasting your time.
Good luck with the project, but do keep in mind that moisture is typical with most boats but fuel in the bilge is deadly.
Post what you deside to do.
Good luck with the project.
Brian
Old 01-28-2003, 09:22 PM
Registered

If my memory is right it's 5 lb. of air pressure is all you need,easy to do.The hard part for us was the removal,had the whole boat spended from the rafters just by the tank (21' parmount)and it took my brother and his 220 lb. friend jumping up and down on deck before it broke loose.Hope it's not so bad for you and you get her fixed soon.

Last edited by FloridianSon; 01-28-2003 at 09:25 PM.
Old 01-28-2003, 09:50 PM
Registered

Depending on the depth the of your tank you can use a hand saw to cut the foam around the edges.
Then you just have to pry it up and out.
Chances are if its wet, your going to find corrosion on the bottom of the tank and if you start trying to clean up you will pork right through the thin corroded aluminum.
Been there ,done that, time for a new tank.
Old 01-28-2003, 10:56 PM
cig28ss

28ss
just did this job on my 1978 cig, nasty job. the tank can look ok bit have little pitted spots under the foam. if you go to the trouble to pull it up from the floor [no easy task] as there is no good way to dig out the foam under the tank, i would replace it.Ron Harris

Old 01-29-2003, 12:10 AM
Registered

I have four saddle tanks that were foamed in. I also thought about melting the crap with denatured alcohol or acetone. The sides of the tanks are jammed against bulkheads, and the foam is high density in those areas. I used a flat ended crobar to dig the bulk of the crap out.

I have one tank left, and may try a pressure washer with slice through with a thin stream, about 2500 PSI. If that works I will be happy to shopvac the water out.

Good Luck!!!!!
Bulldog aka Ronnie

PS- my tanks were full of small pits from water contact. I may also try to coat the replacements with epoxy paint. I need to do this soon too!!!
Old 01-29-2003, 09:02 AM
Registered

Update

So far I have been able to remove the foam from one side using crowbar/cut tubing . The tank will slide side to side so it is loose .
The problem I have now is the tank can't be lifted straight up. the
floor is in the way. So I have to get the foam out from the front and back to rock/tip tank out. For this I have to acetone that foam out .
There is not enough room to chip out foam. I will have tank inspected maybe replaced if necessary by the way this is single tank in center of stringers approx. 50 gals.

Thanks for all the input.

Quick Reply: fuel tank removal

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.